Linpus bootable on SD on a HD XP system?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mvbii, Aug 23, 2008.

1. mvbii

mvbii

1. Can I install Linpus on a SD card and boot from it on a HD based Acer with XP installed (from factory) on the HD?

2. Do I just need a plain vanilla Linpus live ISO and install it on the SD card?

Thx!

mvbii, Aug 23, 2008
  2. mvbii

Sid

Unless something has changed I don't think you can boot from a SD, it is not "visible" at boot time.

A Linpus recovery CD is available online - check the downloads section.

Be careful, read the instructions, or ask here.

Sid, Aug 23, 2008
  3. mvbii

techie

I was going to ask the same question as the Linpus OS isn't bad for normal day to day stuff...

I believe the idea would be boot to XP startup (not the bios F12 option) and then have the Linpus OS available under the XP Boot Loader options.

By then the SD hardware *should be visible"...and so a Linpus OS could then be started. Anyone tried this?

The closest thing I can think of is Wubi that installs Ubuntu to a fat32 drive that allows dual XP/Ubuntu boot.

techie, Aug 24, 2008
  4. mvbii

mvbii

So can I setup a dual boot, XP and Linpus? Anyone done this? Any instructions?

Thanks!

mvbii, Aug 24, 2008
  5. mvbii

Sid

You can dual boot, linux folk use grub..

I am not really into multi boot systems, please search the board.

Sid, Aug 24, 2008
  6. mvbii

KGB

Re: Linpus bootable on SD on a HD XP system? - an FAQ

Concerning the questions raised up here in this thread - here a fews answers (as far as I found out evaluating things).

Q: Can I boot Linpus Lite from a SD-Card using internal card slots?
    A: No, this isn't possible, because AAO doesn't support booting from SD-Card-Slots.

Q: Can I boot Linpus Lite from a SD-Card using an externa card reader?
    A: No, this isn't possible (see remark).

Q: Can I boot Linpus Lite from a USB-Thumb drive?

Q: Can I boot Linpus Lite from a USB-Harddisk?

Q: Why is'nt possible to boot linpus lite from external devices?
    A: Remark - this is what I found out till now: It seems that this isn't possible for several reasons. Thumb drives oder external USB disks aren't handled like a HD/SSD (as far as I have seen, there is no BIOS option to set HD-emulation for USB drives). The second problem: Acer recovery try to install linpus lite on a whole disk (wipes all data on existing partitions). You can install Linpus Lite without trouble from a Recovery DVD to a separate USB-Stick, but this version won't boot as a standalone system! The best you can get, the USB stick (and it's grub loader) can be used to boot a Linpus Lite already installed on the internal HD/SSD. I did the trick and copied the image (ext2 and swap partition) using gparted to a free space on an internal hard disk. Well, using the thumb drive with the (non running linpus lite) boots the linpus lite-copy from my hard disk. The reason for this behavior: The grub-boot options specify to search for "linpus" partition (root=linpus) to mount root. Also it seems that there are instructions in initrd... to search and boot from a sda device (sda1, sda2, sda3, but not from sdb, sdc etc.). Maybe there is a way to change this behavior. Until now I wasn't able to extract initrd... using gunzip ... | cpio properly to have a look on the internal scripts.

Q: Can I dual boot Linpus Lite and Windows XP from internal HD/SSD?

A: Yes, that works. I have already installed both variants. For all thouse able to read German, a how to is maintained here: http://gborn.blogger.de/stories/1203062/

For our english speaking people, try to ask Google translate - but the result obtained here
    http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... l=de&tl=en
    are terrible to read (I hope, you should be able to manage it - currently I'm not having enought time to translate the "how to").

Here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1696 is a verry short resume how I managed to install linpus lite on a running Windows XP system using some spare space on the HD.

Hope that helps - if somebody manage to modify initrd... to boot from USB devices I woul glad to receive a PM.

KGB, Aug 25, 2008
  7. mvbii

skilcraft

I actually have a similar question. I searched the boards and I could not find anything so I apologize if this has been covered. With the recent price drop, I was thinking of picking up the Windows version just to have the 1GB or RAM and the 120GB HDD but I HATE windows and I would prefer to run the Linpus OS. So, can I install Linpus on a Windows XP Aspire?
    Thank you.

skilcraft, Aug 25, 2008
  8. mvbii

KGB

Yes, it's a bit tricky, if you intend to keep Windows XP intact on your HDD. I described the approach in http://gborn.blogger.de/stories/1203062/ (section "Windows XP - Linpus Lite auf dem A150X"). Just try Google translate, in case you are not able to read German - the translation is a bit "rusty", but an advanced computer user should be able to manage the steps.

KGB, Aug 26, 2008
  9. mvbii

Casterton

I have tried using Virtual PC to run Linpus under Windows XP, but ran into problems when trying to move the Linpus mouse within Virtual PC.
    First I install Microsoft's Virtual PC on to my AA1, which is running Windows XP Pro, then Started a new VPC session, attached the CD Drive, which contained the Linpus recovery CD. Booted the Virtual CD and Linpus loaded. I got through the first menu as I only had to use the cursor keys to select the required option, but on the next menu a mouse selection is required and I was unable to move the Linpus mouse. If it could be moved I think VPC would install Linpus to allow both operating systems to run 'at the same time' on the AA1.

Unfortunately VPC does not support any usb devices, to attach a USB Mouse, otherwise it is an excellent product and it's FREE!

Casterton, Aug 26, 2008
  10. mvbii

KGB

My experience from various experiments using VIrtual Box and VMware Server (both are free too) shows me that it was not a problem to install Linpus Lite from Recovery into a virtual machine. But I failed to boot linpus lite within the machine (guess some kernel modules are missing). I have had another thread here and in other forums - either there was no answers to my requests or confirmations from others, that Linpus Lite from Acer won't boot in a virtual machine (using the original Linpus Lite Live CD from Linpus is another thing - I was able to boot live system as well as install that thing into my VM - but this is another nasty thing - and this version is different in many parts from the Acer-Distro).

KGB, Aug 26, 2008
Ask a Question