lets share our vista setup...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by hafiz, Dec 2, 2008.

1. hafiz

hafiz

vista running stabil and fast.. :)

clean install - vlited using vlite v1.6 (v1.2 final caused vista to crash a lot)
    disk config - 5gb for system 50mb for ewf preload and the rest for persistent data.
    ewf - ram reg mode - maxxed out at 1.3gb overlay (before crashing) but its because i was converting a HD movie.
    anything less than that such as games (WOW, warcraft, nfs underground),(using vista movie maker to make short <700mb movies) sound apps (soundforge, cakewalk etc) watching HD videos (reso up to 1080p) 3d apps (google sketchup, google earth) media center..... all worked well (but make sure you set the affinity of these apps in the task manager)

this has become my best netbook yet....

ok, lets get to the point

vista - stripped of most of the bloatware - 750mb iso size (can be smaller but vista will crash a lot too)
    i'll attach the vlite config later

turn off paging file (virtual mem) turn off hibernation, remove system restore during vliting, turn off indexing and windows search, turn off caching. DO NOT REMOVE ANY SYSTEM FOLDERS - yes it will make system fast but it will cause locking during DLL loading and also while using the internet. RAM drive is a big no no. Atom supports multi threading and vista's background intelligent transfer thingy makes this config at least 74.5% faster that XP (benchmarked using 4 diff app)

if you're done all these config (not the most perfect but works very well for me) you'll get a stabil system without lockups whatsoever.

rmemeber to install codecs, ms office and other stuff AFTER the drive has been ewffed. just commit the data after installation.

note - if installing ms office, just make sure that u make a custom install and just install word during first install (this will be safer. to install ppoint excel etc, just run the installer again after you reboot (add one component at a time) yes sounds very slow and taxing, but trust me, this will do good in the long run.

make sure you update the vista - most important update vill be the bitcode for intel (i dont remember the KB number but do it - makes vista more responsive on the ATOM.)

installed intel GMA driver from intels site
    intel chipset driver, synaptics touchpad, acer hotkeys, sd msd reader, can be found at support.acer-euro.com

atheros driver can be downloaded from Majorgeeks.com (after that, use windows update - latest stabil driver)
    to install synaptics and make it work without crashing in vista (because its an XP driver, right click at the setup.exe and set compatibility for XP sp2 - after install, go to c:\program file\synaptics\syntp\ and find syntp.exe, set it to XPsp2 in the compatibility also. ive used the driver from Synaptics (v7.3 for vista) and it sucks.

for the sd reader - download the package, unrar and open the driver folder, copy the x32 / x86 folder. manually install the drivers in device manager.

rt lan can be obtained from windows update.

dont forget to patch the TCPIP to 500half open shit. - torrents need this.

after all that. run winsat. you'll get 2.7 on your wei. (better than my hp amd x64 laptop - 2.3)

in a way, youre making an embedded installation of vista. just remember to commit data if you made any changes to system.

to sum up, after installing drivers, updates, ms office (word,excel,ppoint,onenote,publisher,outlook), photoshop CS3(lite) vegas 9, soundforge 9, picasa 3, warcraft 3 (with expansion packs) google sketchup and google earth, audacity, sony acid, firefox, opera, chrome, youtube downloader, corecodec core player, klitemegacodecpack(lots of stuff) and many more that i forgot, i have a very strabil *embedded* vista on the 5gb partition with the access of 1.5gb free. so it only takes 3.5gb to have all the above plus more.

hafiz, Dec 2, 2008
  2. hafiz

gedster314

I keep meaning to Vlite a Vista installation. I'm running just a straight install of Vista Business and it works great. I'm curious if anyone knows the performance difference between the a full install and a vlited one. I have a big drive so space isn't an issue, performance is. The stock Vista seems to run better then the orignial XP that came one with it.

I hardly ever boot my quad core desktop or my T61P laptop. Once I got used to the keyboard my AAO became my main machine.

gedster314, Dec 4, 2008
  3. hafiz

hafiz

have to agree with you on full vista install running very nice on the hdd model. i installed a full copy of ultimate on a 120gb model and it works fine. vliting only removes the bloat that makes vista a bit quirky on some parts especially for the slower ssd models like mine (which i bought sometime in july). anyways if you have vista sp1 installed, the performance is a wee bit better as there are some minor changes to adress the issues with new intels especially atom and preinstaling sp1 via vlite slipstream seemed to be *better*

*better* = no actual proof yet however .net 2.0,3.0 and 3.5 had yet to show any problems. besides the winsxs folder is smaller if you vlite the sp1 prior to install. but if you have the sp1 dvd, right on! :cool:

hafiz, Dec 6, 2008
  4. hafiz

IM0001

Ya I just installed the plain old Vista Ultimate install and customized to my liking. It works great and is perfectly stable and fast with even only 1G of ram. With a 160G harddrive you have plenty of space to play around and I have an extra 1G stick of ram I plan to put in soon along with a new Intel Nic Card.

It is a sweet little rig and Vista makes it much better than XP. I have always noticed that the Vista Wireless Manager is much better than XP's and the signal is always stronger.

IM0001, Dec 9, 2008
  5. hafiz

scooby222

i vlited vista ultimate slipstreamed sp1 took off languages and the media centres runs really well looking forward to putting windows 7 on it gona wait till the final comes out tho

scooby222, Dec 22, 2008
  6. hafiz

teh_qube

i plan on installing either vista ultimate or tiny vista.

1: what are the main differences?
    2: what is vlite?
    3: what would you propose?

teh_qube, Dec 25, 2008
  7. hafiz

cbonne4

vlite is better for the Aone because it cuts out all the shit u don't need and with only one gig of ram will need this for more important things

cbonne4, Dec 25, 2008
  8. hafiz

ipearl

How much better does a Full Vista Install Compare to a Full XP Install ???
    I am running 1.8 HDD 100GB I was deciding between Vista Home Ultimate Sp1 and XP Home SP3
    I am Currently Runnign XP Home SP3 it runs smooth and fast but i heard Vista has better Video Grphics managment.
    And the ReadyBoost suppose to help alot if a Fast SD card is used of 4GB +

Any advice be very helpfull.
    PS: Answer with facts and back up of statement are preferred over 15 year old fan style "vista/xp ftw"

ipearl, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question