Leopard and Linpus living together?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by leebo, Oct 22, 2008.

1. leebo

leebo

Firstly apologies to return to this but after spending the evening reading the board it seems this issue isnt being really addressed.

I understand why people would want both Windows and OS X on their machines but I also think its valid to want both a full OS and a Lite OS especially when the latter is tailored to the machine.
    I'm running what was the 8GB SSD, 512mb Linpus AAO but has now been modded/upgraded to 30gb (toshiba mk3008gal), 1.5gb & dell 1390 wifi and now Id like to have the option to dual boot with OS X and Linpus.

You may ask why Id need Linpus and I do plan on primarly using OS X but without sleep and the issues with the fan & SD Cards I think it would be advantageous to have Linpus if theres anything Id like to do that would require the SD card or starting up and sleeping for quick periodic use.

As I say although I dont think this is high on people priorities but would appreciate any help , if indeed, there is any solution to this or some guidance as what others have learnt if anything.
    Apologies for asking and setting up a new Topic but Id love to get on with installing my OS but dont want to have to start from scratch if there is a way of installing the two OSs.
    Thanks in advance for helping

leebo, Oct 22, 2008
  2. leebo

denshaotoko808

I've actually been able to dual boot OSX / Linpus but it's a PAIN to get working.

First, the only way I've been able to get the Acer branded Linpus installed and working dual boot is to first install Windows, then install Linpus. Then you can nuke Windows with OSX and get a full working dual boot system.

First problem: Linpus will not recognizw the Dell 1390 card. Good luck getting it to work. I investigated what it would take to compile ndiswrapper and just said forget it.

If you want to attempt it, I used this guy's Linpus image and installed it via the multiple, agonizing steps described here: http://lifeisasketch.com/node/2

I could never get Bootpart to work so I used the alternate Wingrub method instead. But in the end it DID WORK.

denshaotoko808, Oct 22, 2008
  3. leebo

leebo

Thanks for getting back to me. It does seem the way youve described that its a bit of a dead end so I may just give up.

The only thing now is whether to install another linux? OneLinux seems to be the best bet but god knows when the poor guy will be able to get it finished and I cant find any of the beta versions that were floating about.

Thanks very much for replying though.

leebo, Oct 22, 2008
  4. leebo

denshaotoko808

I was going to try a few but since there are still issues with all of them I'll just wait it out. I'm not looking forward to having to reinstall everything again. LOL.

denshaotoko808, Oct 22, 2008
  5. leebo

idcolvin

Hi,
    I'd also like to have OSX and Linpus living together on my Aspire. This is because I want to be able to go on using the stock wireless card and Linpus for accessing the internet while I evaluate the stability of the Aspire and OS X for a little bit longer (I still might return the Aspire as it appears that when it gets hot the wireless networking card stops working - or I may eventually buy a dell wireless card to work with OSX; but I'd still like to have Linpus available if possible for the fast boot times). My main use for OSX is for writing and thus not having access to wireless internet could be seen as a 'feature' (fewer distractions).

I installed OS X successfully using Rory and Diablo's howtos (Thanks both!). BUT ... Linpus on the shrunk first partition no longer boots, though Darwin does list it as an option. Can anyone help me understand *why* it doesn't boot? One hypothesis I have is that OSX's bootloader may have overwritten Linpus's grub (?). I also wondered if it was a matter of bootable flags, but changing these stopped Darwin without making Linpus boot.

I'm grateful for any ideas you have or help you can give me in understanding how this should work.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ian

idcolvin, Dec 17, 2008
  6. leebo

idcolvin

Hi all,
    No replies. I guess there can't be/aren't many/any? other people seeking to do this. Would still love to hear from anyone who could advise me on getting Linpus to boot. Surely this is a grub or Darwin issue that ought to be easily fixed *if* I knew what I was doing?
    Season's Greetings to all,
    Ian

idcolvin, Dec 19, 2008
  7. leebo

pink

Disclaimer: Not talking about AAO in particular here, but I've done some tinkering with multiboot Macs,
    and there are problems with Linux flavors that write grub over the MacOS either mbr or efi partition,
    or Linux flavors that can't boot from a guid partition.The best solution I found was guid partition and rEFIt http://refit.sourceforge.net/ rEFIt has tools to repair mbr and reflag bootable partitions. It gives you
    a boot selection menu at startup. Only Vista sometimes throws a hissy fit and wrecks the MacOS boot.

But I've flagged away multiboot, and now use VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/
    It's faster, you can save virtual machines in a running state, and they don't tromp on
    each other's bootloaders. Since VirtualBox respect Apple's licence, MacOS won't run in a VM
    so you have to have a base install of MacOS and all the others running in VMs.

pink, Dec 19, 2008
Ask a Question