Lenovo ideapad motherboard's capacitor

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by maejortrippy, Oct 21, 2021.

1. maejortrippy

maejortrippy

I own a lenovo ideapad gaming 3 15.6" laptop

So, yesterday I was upgrading my RAM into 16GB, everything was going fine until, trying to put this little metal that protects the 2 ram slow then accidently it moved to the left and sort of burned this capacitor PL202 . One of my friends tested the motherboard and the capacitor and told me it caused no damaged but still im confused on what exactly is the use of this PL202 capacitor and how i really be sure that nothing bad is going to happed to my motherboard as the time goes by. Would totally appreciated any comments about it. Thanks

pd: no, i didnt disconnected the battery or drained all energy before doing this and yes i know i shoul've have. but now were here and im a little worried about this "not-burned but looks burned " PL202 thing.

here are the links for the photos just in case.
    https://files.fm/u/f33jcpt36

Attached Files:

maejortrippy, Oct 21, 2021
  2. maejortrippy

sanjayk

Same this happened to me. Who's your laptop so far? Did you do something?

sanjayk, Jun 18, 2023
  3. maejortrippy

anyabaker

The PL202 capacitor is a smoothing capacitor. It is used to smooth out the voltage fluctuations on the motherboard. If the capacitor is damaged, it can cause the voltage to fluctuate more, which can lead to instability and even damage to the motherboard.

However, if your friend tested the motherboard and said that it is not damaged, then you should be fine. The capacitor may have just been superficially damaged, and it may still be able to function properly.

However, it is always best to err on the side of caution. If you are still worried about the capacitor, you can take your laptop to a technician and have them take a look at it. They can determine if the capacitor is damaged and if it needs to be replaced.

Here are some tips to prevent this from happening again:

• Always disconnect the battery before working on your laptop. This will help to prevent any static electricity from damaging the components.
    • Be careful when handling capacitors. They are delicate components and can be easily damaged.
    • If you are not comfortable working on your laptop, take it to a technician. They will be able to upgrade your RAM safely and without damaging the components.

anyabaker, Jul 2, 2023
    sanjayk likes this.
  4. maejortrippy

sanjayk

I took it to a technician.its a capacitor in charging circuit. If you charge your lap, it will short circuit the entire charging circuit. I took it to a technician and found out it damaged couple of ICs and MOSFET. They soldered the circuit and replaced the components. I suggest you to check it with a technician

sanjayk, Jul 2, 2023
  5. maejortrippy

Flowace

Capacitors are electronic components commonly found on computer motherboards. They store and release electrical energy to help stabilize and regulate voltage levels. Their role is crucial in ensuring the proper functioning of various components in your laptop.

If you accidentally damaged or partially burned the PL202 capacitor while upgrading your RAM, there could be potential risks involved. Even if your friend tested the capacitor and found it functional, there may be underlying issues that are not immediately apparent.

When you're dealing with hardware components like capacitors, it's essential to take proper precautions, including disconnecting the battery and draining any residual energy, before attempting any repairs or upgrades. Not following these safety measures can lead to damage or unexpected issues.

If you're uncertain about the condition of your motherboard or the capacitor, it's best to seek professional help from a qualified technician. They can thoroughly inspect your laptop, diagnose any potential problems, and provide the necessary repairs or replacements if required.

Continuing to use the laptop without addressing the issue properly may pose further risks, as damaged components can potentially cause more significant problems over time, affecting the overall performance and reliability of your laptop.

In summary, it's crucial to handle hardware upgrades and repairs with care and follow the proper safety procedures. When in doubt, seek assistance from professionals to ensure your laptop's functionality and longevity.

Flowace, Jul 26, 2023
Ask a Question