LCD screen issue. Random lines. Boots ok

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by prikolchik, Nov 7, 2008.

1. prikolchik

prikolchik

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let people know that today, roughly 2.5 month old A1 120gb XP now has random lines on the screen. When you turn it on, it immidiately shows blank screen (with some "smuggle" on the top) and then as it starts to boot it shows me different lines. sometimes i can see a bit of what is actually going on the computer (text, windows desktop, etc). If i move the lid, the lines change, and i can sometimes get it to work without issues, but if i move the lid just a little bit, it totally messes up again.

I do not think this is a video card issue, because why the heck would it change picture and occasionally start working well if i keep moving the lid?

My guess is that it is the video cable. I have taken KB off and made sure it fits well to motherboard and still same issue. So i guess it is probably the part of the cable that is between laptop and the screen. Or maybe cable disconnected from the LCD? I dont know...

I will be calling acer later today and will probably order new screen/video cable. I will keep you guys updated.

UPDATE: I have taken apart the screen and checked if cable was connected properly and it was. So i guess it must be damaged where lid connects with the laptop base on bottom left corner (if u look at the opened screen).

prikolchik, Nov 7, 2008
  2. prikolchik

Guest Guest

May I suggest the old NES trick? Blow on the connections.

Guest, Nov 8, 2008
  3. prikolchik

prikolchik

Yea, I've tried that and it makes no difference. I have called Acer and sent it to Acer Repair yesterday. Without A1 I feel like I'm missing a hand :cry:

prikolchik, Nov 8, 2008
  4. prikolchik

prikolchik

got AAO back from Acer today. Instead of simply replacing LCD cable, they have replaced LCD, LCD cable, HDD (wtf? it was working fine! new HDD makes horrible noise. Now have to resinstall XP and tweak linux.. :evil: ), it seems they have also replaced keyboard (?), touchpad assembly thing (???) and they have updated BIOS (god, WHY? now my LCD is too bright). But at least all the lines are gone and it seems to be working fine.

prikolchik, Nov 24, 2008
Ask a Question