Launch apps as root

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lmerega, Aug 26, 2008.

1. lmerega

lmerega

Hi all, I would like if is possible to launch panel applications as root user.
    In example, I would like to launch pyNeighborhood as root, but I have to open file, Terminal, digit "su", and launch the app.
    I put pyNeighborhood on panels of mine, but every time I launch it it is not launched as root.
    How to solve?

Thx

lmerega, Aug 26, 2008
  2. lmerega

dsthode

You should not be running applications as root. Instead this app should ask you for admin credentials if there are system tasks to be performed, just like e.g. the package manager asks for root password when you are to install a new package.

(If I did understand you correctly, you want to make this application run as a daemon in the notification area of your panel, just like NetworkManager or the battery indicator)

dsthode, Aug 26, 2008
  3. lmerega

lmerega

I know I "should not", but I would like to :D
    Is it possible?
    And no, I do not want it run as a daemon, I want launch it as root user.
    In example mousepad. I want to launch mousepad as root user without doing "sudo mousepad" but having it always as root user when I click on Mousepad icon on my panel (I added it).

Thx again :)

L'uka

lmerega, Aug 26, 2008
  4. lmerega

jukk

Yes, it is.

This sounds very bad. Any user that gets access can edit any file in your system. I suggest studying the basics of a Unix file system. Then you will also learn how to do what you want, but I think you might change your mind by then. Said with all respect, I only want to give good advice.

jukk, Aug 26, 2008
  5. lmerega

lmerega

Thx for the advice :)
    I know what I am risking, adn I was good enough to solve my problem by myself :)
    Thx anyway

L'uka

lmerega, Aug 26, 2008
Ask a Question