Laptops And Radiation

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by hades_leae, Jul 19, 2016.

1. hades_leae

hades_leae

http://www.radiationanswers.org/radiation-blog/is-that-a-laptop-on-your-lap.html

When I heard that cell phones give off radiation, and many other electronics, it got me wondering about laptops. I did not know this before but they do, so I started doing searches on how dangerous it actually is to be around them.

I don't like the fact that they emit radiation, but from the post that I have been reading on various blogs, they claim it's really not that dangerous. I don't agree, all types of radiation is dangerous to me.

hades_leae, Jul 19, 2016
  2. hades_leae

IcyBC

I have also read something like this before, and the article advised men not to put their laptop on their laps since it could affect the reproductive system.

I don't worry about it because we will die of one thing or another. People who don't smoke still can die of lung cancer too. If you worry about everything, life would be very sad. Microwave has radiation, still no household is without it.

IcyBC, Jul 22, 2016
  3. hades_leae

Corzhens

In the olden days, there are the so called monitor filters. Have you used that? In the office, we were issued such filters to protect our eyes (and probably not just the eyes) from the radiation. The filter, a glass panel that fits the monitor, is called anti-rad to mean anti-radiation. But is there truth to that? I wonder why monitor filters are not in fashion anymore?

Let me just share this trivia. When I was young, the colored tv was expensive hence not that much popular. Those people with black and white tv say that colored tv have radiation that can cause cancer. When the first micro computers came out circa 1980, the same rumor emerged that the monitor emits radiation and can cause cancer. Now, it seems like we still have that rumor, huh.

Corzhens, Jul 25, 2016
  4. hades_leae

fcuco

Wow... monitor filters, I remember those... I wonder if they actually did anything and were not simply this weird accessory that people bought out of compulsion. Those disappeared completely, I think because they were supposedly shielding you from the radiation emitted by CRT monitors, once flat panes became the norm those filters disappeared as they served no purpose, or people simply realized that this whole radiation thing was bogus anyway.

What I have seen lately are privacy filters, similar to those old fashion filters but their purpose is not to protect from any radiation but to protect your screen so people can't see what you are doing, since you have to be sitting exactly straight-on facing the monitor to be able to see the screen.

fcuco, Jul 28, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  5. hades_leae

acerme2

I've read that laptop screens do emit different types of radiation but these are of low intensity type that is not harmful to human. The same can be said about other mobile devices.

I've also used monitor filters before with my desktop screen and I'm now wondering if these were actually a necessity at the time.

Last year, I had myself fitted for eyeglasses and one of the features that the saleslady was trying to sell is the anti-radiation feature of a particular model. This of course made the eyeglass more expensive. I didn't buy into it though and opted for something that has UV protection. That sounded more realistic.

acerme2, Sep 8, 2016
Ask a Question