Laptop worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by farrsolo, Oct 2, 2017.

1. farrsolo

farrsolo

I have an old sony vaio laptop (VPCEB37FD)
    The fan is starting to go, making a little bit of whistling noise.
    I have never upgraded a laptop before, no idea how much a fan is worth.
    I was thinking of changing out the fan, installing an SSD and upping the RAM from 4gb to 8gb.

Everything else works great on the laptop.
    It is using a i5 M460 @2.53GHz
    4gb DDR3
    integrated graphics

the laptop is just for general web browsing, banking, some youtube and stuff for the kids. Light Duty usage,

Searching quickly I found a SSD for $115, RAM for $69 then whatever a replacement fan cost

Thanks for any help.

(I am going to dismantle laptop and look for fan part number so I can search for a replacement)

farrsolo, Oct 2, 2017
  2. farrsolo

something back

Welcome to the laptop forums site

If you are happy with the laptop, and it does what you want then
    why not replace some faulty parts, if the price for doing it is not that high.

Here's a link to a service/repair manual.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/783326/Sony-Vaio-Vpceb-Series.html

It's worth going on to ebay for used ram, and possibly new parts.

ALSO it's worth replacing the motherboard battery whilst you have access.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    something back, Oct 2, 2017
  3. farrsolo

Kojack

For the cost of the ram, You can get 16gb for very cheap..The fan i am going to guess is no more than 12-15 dollars. If you want to keep storage space but still speed up the device you can run a firecuda drive...but If you want an SSD make sure you have 256gb 128gb fills up quickly. I have notebooks much older than that running perfectly fine. No need to throw it out if it's working good!

Kojack, Oct 30, 2017
  4. farrsolo

Jose s

I have 2 Sony vaio same model (VPCEB37FD)
    Those are i5 working great, I already change the ram to 2x4 means 8 Gb. I heard the sugestion of somebody about putting 2x8 means 16 Gb, I am wondering if somebody have tried and if it worked or not.

Jose s, Mar 12, 2021
  5. farrsolo

Shweta Singh

If you're in the position where you can actually upgrade the CPU or GPU in your laptop, it's certainly worth it from a performance perspective. Upgrading these components can add years to the laptop's life. However, they may also have an impact on heat and battery life. According to Computer Hope, you should expect to replace your computer once every four years. That's based on a cost analysis, plus the average time it takes to wear out the internal parts of the computer. Home Computer Help gives a slightly different estimate: Five years for desktops, and three to four for laptops.

Shweta Singh, Nov 9, 2021
Ask a Question