laptop with best battery backup

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by vinaya, Feb 18, 2016.

1. vinaya

vinaya

In the place, I live there is a frequent power cut. Sometimes this is a blackout for more than 9 hours. I need a laptop that has the best battery backup. Please suggest a laptop that has longest battery life.

vinaya, Feb 18, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. vinaya

IBMPC8088

Hey there,

Power outages are terrible to deal with. I used to have one once every few weeks, and sometimes days at a time when I used to live on the island of Guam years ago. Laptop batteries were still Ni-Cads back then!

Today, the best laptop batteries around for laptops can be found on models like the Lenovo T450, which has a battery life of up to 11 hours! You can go for almost half the day without having to plug it in again, which is really nice.

There is another way to extend it if the power is completely out longer than that. You have two more options. One of these options is to get another battery and alternate which ones you use, so that way you would have up to 24 hours of battery life for your laptop, and only have to shut it down once to switch to the second battery.

The second option is to have a battery-backup that used to be really popular for desktops (and still is for some data centers). The UPS battery back ups stored between 4 to 8 hours and sometimes longer use of desktops which draw far more power than laptops do today. A laptop charging a battery on a UPS can probably get between 14 to 18 hours worth of charge from it, and if you couple that with the first choice, you can get up to 36 hours of use between the first battery, the backup battery for the laptop, and then a UPS.

You would have to invest a little more for the UPS, so the cheapest way is to get a second battery and have it charged. The moment the power goes out, you have all of your first battery and can then power down only to switch to the second. Again, the Lenovo T450 and similar models from Dell, Acer, HP, Asus, and others are going to give you up to 11 to 12 hours, so you'll get the most mileage out of a long-life battery like on those systems, and 4x the battery life with it than on a normal laptop with a 4, 6, or 8 cell battery. The Lenovo Thinkpad X250 is also a good choice with nearly the same battery life by just a few minutes difference. You can read the benchmarks for this and more about it here: Longest Laptop Batteries and Benchmark

IBMPC8088, Feb 18, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. vinaya

IcyBC

I agree with @IBMPC8088 about buying extra battery pack to use when your power is out. However, if the power is out, would that leave you without internet also?

IcyBC, Feb 18, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. vinaya

IBMPC8088

Yes, you are right IcyBC. If you have internet connected by a wire or wireless internet at home, then it will be out too because the router and modem (if two units) will still need power.

Usually there is still power from the cable or phone company to still get the signal since they have gasoline-powered backup generators that start the moment power changes or goes out (they automatically turn on), but the users at home will not have that...unless they plug the router and modem into the UPS pack since it has normal plugs on it just like a wall outlet does.

You would be able to continue your internet use then for a few hours after the power goes out for everyone else, but after 1 or 2 days, even that would probably discharge if it's a standard battery.

The power requirements of a modem or router are very small even compared to a laptop or desktop, but it's only going to last for as long as the charge on the UPS does.

One alternative to this is to use your cell phone as a modem for internet service, either by making it a wifi hotspot, or better yet, tethering it to the laptop through a usb port on the computer so that it can charge off of the laptop which will only be .01% extra drain on the battery to keep it charged while using it to still have internet if you don't have a UPS backup battery to plug other devices into.

IBMPC8088, Feb 19, 2016
  5. vinaya

Pablo Diaz

Hi, Vinaya!

I was wondering what your budget is? Because if we know that we can give you options so you know what's the best you can get for the amount of money you have!

Anyways, I'll suggest the Acer S7-392 which has an i5 4200U processor, 8GB ram, 128GB SSD and a 2560x1440 13.3" touchscreen. These specs are ok for normal, daily use (web-browsing, watching movies. etc.) And you will have about 6-7 hours (I'd suggest getting a spare battery to double its battery life.) If you want a more hardcore, gaming-oriented laptop, just let me know and I'll recommend you some!

Cheers.

Pablo Diaz, Feb 20, 2016
  6. vinaya

Corzhens

When my laptop was issued to me 2 years ago, I remember that the battery life is quite long (not sure if it's 9 hours). But now it is below 5 hours although it's not overused since I'm always on a meeting since late last year. But there are times that I use my laptop outdoors so I'm looking for a reserve power supply.

An extra battery pack is very expensive here unless you would settle for the products made in China. But there are cases of misfires and overheating so that's out of my agenda. What I'm looking for is a power bank or portable charger. But no luck yet.

Corzhens, Feb 21, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. vinaya

IBMPC8088

It sounds like you may be looking for this then:
    APC BE350G Back-UPS 350 VA 6-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

About 4 years ago, there was an analysis of this and some formulas you can use based on the wattage of the UPS you decide on and the amount of wattage being drawn by your laptop (usually between 15w min to 60w max, and 30w to 35w on average). You can see additional information on this in a new window here which details the formulas and approximations to help you solve the issues with your laptop using a UPS: How long will a laptop run from a UPS battery? Formulas and analysis.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    IBMPC8088, Feb 21, 2016
  8. vinaya

vinaya

I use 3G data dongle to connect t the internet, thus, even when there is a power cut, I can connect to the internet. I have a spare battery and when I run out of backup on one battery, I change battery and continue to use my laptop. However, there is a problem while changing battery, I need to shout down my machine.

vinaya, Mar 18, 2016
  9. vinaya

roger1003

I think I'm okay with changing batteries for as long as I can get a cheaper price. All I'm going to do is to save all the files I'm working on, then restart my laptop. However, if there's an option to have a laptop with a good battery at a cheap price, why not?

roger1003, Mar 19, 2016
Ask a Question