Laptop Vs Desktop

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by vinaya, Apr 4, 2016.

1. vinaya

vinaya

Laptop is portable but desktop performs better. However, if portability is not your concern, would you have a laptop or a desktop.
    I would use laptop because I can use it comfortably on my bed.

vinaya, Apr 4, 2016
  2. vinaya

Sefie

Some laptops can perform as well as a desktop... the only limit is how much money is in your wallet and how much are you willing to spend. I mean, there are great gaming laptops that can perform as well as a gaming desktop. Talking about Alienware laptops mostly ;) As for my personal tastes... laptop. Sitting in front a desktop is no longer an option for me.

Sefie, Apr 4, 2016
  3. vinaya

SirJoe

If I didn't need a computer to carry around I would build a desktop. I have done so before but at this point in time I need something that is portable and if I had a desktop I probably would never use it.

SirJoe, Apr 4, 2016
  4. vinaya

fcuco

I would never use a laptop for actual work unless traveling precisely because I can take it to my bed, this confuses my brain as I need a clear structure and an actual desk to sit to make the switch to work mode if that makes any sense. I could use a laptop as a desktop replacement though and have done this in the past, but the thing was hooked to a mouse, keyboard and external displays so yeah, it was pretty much a desktop.

fcuco, Apr 4, 2016
  5. vinaya

Corzhens

I am a laptop user for more than 2 years now and I'd say laptop is a good friend because it can be my companion wherever I go unlike the desktop which is stationary. However, our plan in replacing our old desktop is to purchase a new laptop (although it is still on hold for the meantime). The importance of portability is now being realized because we are travelers of sort and it would be great to bring your computer with you in the resort or even when abroad.

Corzhens, Apr 4, 2016
  6. vinaya

Krissttina Isobe

If I had money I'd have both. Desktop for home and laptop for on the go. I love to have both if only I could afford it!

Krissttina Isobe, Apr 7, 2016
  7. vinaya

vinaya

I have used desktop computer, however, I have never owned a desktop computer. Nature of my job does not allow me to use a desktop computer. However, I am thinking to get a desktop so that I can use a desktop in my home and use a laptop when I am working outdoors. Desktop computers are more reliable than a laptop.

vinaya, Apr 7, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  8. vinaya

Krissttina Isobe

*I agree with you! I love using a mouse too instead of a laptops touchpad, so I'd get a mouse for both my laptop and desktop too when I can afford it!

Krissttina Isobe, Apr 13, 2016
  9. vinaya

FenWoFon

Well I actually have both of them, I mostly use laptop for travels and business stuff, Desktop is mostly for gaming and doing everything else, if I had the chance to buy another PC I woulddefinitely go for a desktop straight ahead, I personally like them way more than I like laptops, opportunities are wider with a desktop, that is my opinion though.

FenWoFon, Apr 13, 2016
  10. vinaya

sharatharadhya

I would actually prefer a Desktop over a Laptop. I have many reasons to back my view and the first one is the performance to the price that I get on a Desktop is way better than the Laptop of the same price. The fact that I have a Home UPS makes sure that I can run my Desktop whenever I want to. And I can also opt for a huge screen. If you have a lot of power outage at your location then it would be wise to go with a Laptop. I also enjoy the level of upgradeability I get with a Desktop over a Laptop. But I have both of them so I never worry. I hardly use the Laptop over my Desktop unless I am travelling.Good Luck.

sharatharadhya, Apr 21, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  11. vinaya

IcyBC

I prefer laptop since I can work on it anywhere I want in the house or while visiting family member's home. Right now, my house has no place for a desk so it might as well that I don't have a desktop. I also suffer numbness in my leg and I have to elevate them. I am on the couch, with foot stool most of the time!

IcyBC, Apr 21, 2016
  12. vinaya

spence88

I know this is a laptop forum, but I'll be blunt. I am a gamer, and gaming with desktops is better and more practical in my opinion. Laptops can actually do what desktops can, but only at a higher price / cost. Although I do have a laptop and use it more than my desktop nowadays (well not that I have any other choice, my desktop broke), but it's a very good laptop and is practically given to me. So I lose nothing by using it. :)

spence88, Apr 23, 2016
  13. vinaya

IBMPC8088

I use both. The majority of what is done on a desktop can now be done on a laptop to a very large extent and close in power. But being close in power and absolute in power...there's the difference.

I use desktops and servers when I have really powerful programs that must run constantly on a system that needs to self-manage and never be dragged down by worries of overheating and if I need to be able to upgrade or replace quickly and easily. When I'm running long-term intensive programs that have to keep crunching values at top speed, it's a must.

Could I do most of this on a laptop? Yes, but I'd run more of a risk overheating components that are harder to replace, or losing performance if it switches to battery, and a few other small issues that are not a problem at all with a desktop.

The nice thing is that if in a jam, I really could use my laptop now to do all of what I would use my desktop to do...just with slightly less power and more at risk of overusing or overheating harder to replace and higher priced components.

For mobility and most users who are on the go, having a laptop is a must. If you stay in one place at the office or are at home a lot for work, then you would save money and get more power out of a desktop for that. If you do both, you would want to use both so that you can choose when and where you have the advantage, and always have a backup system to keep working with in the event that one of them needs to be fixed or goes out.

So the premise of laptop vs desktop can be accurately addressed as Purpose Vs Lifestyle/needs.

IBMPC8088, Apr 23, 2016
Ask a Question