Laptop shuts down on power brick

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by icarus, Dec 29, 2020.

1. icarus

icarus

My dell studio 1555 has started to shut down when either connected exclusively or connected with battery latched inin.
    There is no issue in charging the battery.

What could be the problem? Its a used laptop which I purchased few days back , was on windows 7, have installed win 10 clean installed. Is it possible that win 10 is causing issue(as per dell , win 10 is not supported on this laptop)?

PS: When I was clean installing WIN 10. I was on battery and the adapter was connected as well. For the entire 4-5 hours it did not shut down, as soon as hello cortana screen appeared it shut down.

PS: I am using 90 w power adaptor, I think laptop came with 65 w is that issue

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    icarus, Dec 29, 2020
  2. icarus

gray1

Hello. The first thing I would try is to go Distrowatch.org find Linux Mint and download the ISO file. Then make a live disc. Boot the live disk (DO NOT INSTALL) and allow it to load Linux mint as the Operating System. This will bypass WIndows 10 and see if it acts the same way wiith Linux. This way you could tell if it was a WIndows 10 problem or a hardware problem. Another option would be to put a different hard drive in and install Windows 7.

Second thing I would try is to remove the battery and just run it off the charger and see if acts the same way. A bad battery can shut them down or cause them not to boot up. Your battery possibly may have a short in it. The only sure way to be positive is to put a new battery in it unfortunately.

Third charger.. As a rule of thumb, you can use a 90W instead of a 65W. The laptop, if it is working correctly, will only pull the amount of watts that it is designed for. The 90 watts will supply more watts if the laptop "asks" for it. However I would not use a 90 watt in a laptop that is designed for 45 watts. I would also be concerned about the charger. Is the charger working correctly or is it the wrong charger with a different charging plug that you need. The only way would be to get a different charger. I see the cheap knock offs or on ebay for about $12.00. That may be an option.

Anyway thats the things I would try.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    gray1, Dec 31, 2020
    icarus likes this.
  3. icarus

icarus

Installing linux and trying was definitely on my mind. Will surely try.
    I tried a 65 w adapter, charging light did not turn on, on boot got a warning that it's of lower capacity and system will not perform. Moreover it did not charge the battery. Is my battery 90 Watts? How do I check that?
    Thanks

PS: spec sheet on dell website mentions both 65 w and 90 w capable.

icarus, Dec 31, 2020
  4. icarus

icarus

Well , it happens in Linux mint also. Guess it's hardware fault.

icarus, Dec 31, 2020
  5. icarus

icarus

This is crazy I am on power saver mode I tweaked some settings in advance options , and it now seems to be working!!!!
    No shutdowns. What could be the reason?
    Is it Win 10 compatibility with the hardware?

PS; now mint Linux shuts down midways

icarus, Dec 31, 2020
  6. icarus

gray1

If it is shutting down in Linux mint, that would indicate a hardware problem not a software issue since Windows 10 and linux is two different operating systems. The next thing I would do is just try running linux mint with the battery out running just on the charger. See if it shuts down. If it don't shut down, that would indicate a battery problem. I have had problems with batterys showing good and they were bad. If it shuts down on the charger alone, that would indicate a charger problem. Your battery should not be 90 watts. It should be marked on the battery. Your looking looking for something like 10.8v 47Wh.... The 47Wh should be the watts of the battery. I also have ran into the problem on HP's. When I pulgged in a 65 watt charger it would not charge. It wanted a 90 watt charger. But HP website listed both chargers for it. As an afterthought you can try to reseat the memory. I have had chip creep do some wierd things before. Could the laptop be over heating and shutting down? Is the fan spinning and getting good airflow? Good luck.

gray1, Jan 1, 2021
    icarus likes this.
  7. icarus

icarus

It shuts down on charger alone, battery alone, battery+ charger. Just like Win 10 earlier.
    Isn't the OS causing issues here? I resolved that in win 10 with some advance tweaks in power saver option.So does linux miiint has similar battery tweaking advance options like Windows has?

icarus, Jan 1, 2021
  8. icarus

gray1

Yes Mint has the options also. You could always go back to windows 7 and see what happens. I still suspect a hardware issue. But what the heck give it a try. What do you have to lose?

gray1, Jan 1, 2021
    icarus likes this.
  9. icarus

icarus

By the time I tweak those options in mint, laptop shuts down.
    I mean did I somehow disable shutdown features in advance power settings in win 10 , that is causing no shutdown issues?
    Really baffled.

icarus, Jan 1, 2021
  10. icarus

icarus

I installed unetbootin and when I tried to install Ubuntu it shut down midways.

I again restarted in unetbootin, then chose second option from boot menu ( I guess safe mode without graphic card? )
    Then it worked normally and didn't shut down.
    So I guess graphic card/drivers was the culprits which is causing shut down in both win 10 earlier and now in Linux install.
    What say?

icarus, Jan 2, 2021
  11. icarus

gray1

I have never seen a video card that can't handle the drivers shut down the computer. The screen usually will just go black or artifacts appear . I am still wondering if it's overheating and shutting down. I would just run the live disk of ubuntu (Not Install) go to the repositories and download psensor and install. It will install in memory and then you can check the temps of the CPU and GPU. Just a thought. Reinstalling WIndows 7 (what the laptop is designed for) will tell you if it is a driver issue.

gray1, Jan 4, 2021
  12. icarus

icarus

on win 10. core 1 temp 44 core 2 temp 48
    hard disk temp 46

I was just trying elementry os live, it shut down after 15 minutes or so..

However, past few days i tweaked power settings as under creating a new plan as under, after that zero shut downs.
    which settings below have resulted in stopping shut downs( till i treid live elementry os today as mentioned above)? Thanks

turn off display Never Never
    put to sleep Never Never

advance settings >>>>

turn off HD , on battery 180 mints plugged in 180 mints
    wireless adapter settings >> maximum
    sleep after>> never>>
    hybrid >> off
    hybernate>>off
    allow wake>> disable
    usb suspend>>disable
    processor>>min and max both 5%
    system cooling>> both passive
    max processer state >> both 100%
    turn off display>>never
    ATI Graphics Power Settings>>on battery '''maximize batt life
    plugged in >> maximize batt life

icarus, Jan 14, 2021
  13. icarus

gray1

If your making power adjustments in WIndows 10, it should not affect a live Linux disk or install, simply because you are not running Windows. If your in the bios, I would just go to the default setting. It is possible something on the motherboard is getting hot and shutting the laptop down. Other than what I have already suggested, I have no idea.

gray1, Jan 16, 2021
    icarus likes this.
  14. icarus

icarus

That's what. It runs fine with those power settings in windows, but shuts down just after Linux boots.
    If it's a hardware issue, then how come it arises in one OS and not other?
    Weird.
    I guess the answer is in those power settings.

icarus, Jan 17, 2021
Ask a Question