Laptop freezes

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by masx, Apr 6, 2014.

1. masx

masx

Hello,
    I have a Toshiba S50D-A laptop - updated to Windows 8.1. It has AMD A10 processor, 8GB RAM, 2.4 Ghz, 64 bit.
    It freezes about once a day so is impossible to trust. When it freezes there is NO option but to turn it off with the power button! Doesn't matter what I am doing, writing or watching a video, just seems to stop in mid-work!
    It will not handle much streaming video action.
    Toshiba support only has info on Windows 7 and 8 and is way out of date.

My OLD computer is an HP with Vista, 3GB Ram, 1.9Ghz, 32 bit and it handles everything WAY faster and doesn't freeze!
    I could also run 3 browsers in Vista, I.E., Firefox and Chrome all at the same time! Windows 8.1 won't even run Chrome at all!
    So I assume my NEW puter should work a lot better! I have done a system recovery 3 times already.

This new Toshiba SHOULD be much better than an old 32 bit one! Grrrr!
    Anyone got an idea?
    Thanks if you have.

masx, Apr 6, 2014
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. masx

babyleans

i have a compaq that used to freeze when it got too hot. it doesn't do that anymore but i think you should downgrade your OS to the previous one that worked. either that or try getting more RAM.

babyleans, Apr 7, 2014
  3. masx

mikelouis

From the specs you have given about the laptop am sure it should be able to handle anything without any hassle. I think you should just check to see the hard disk is fine. In most cases the freezing of the laptop is caused by a faulty hard disk or memory so test them to make sure that they are in good condition.

mikelouis, Apr 7, 2014
  4. masx

Krissttina Isobe

When I use a netbook called 2gopc from the library it works so great for a couple of days, then it slows down to a crawl sometimes and it freezes and I wait until it wakes up. I know it's a free library computer and I shouldn't complain, but it can work so fast on the first 2 days then slow to a crawl and it disconnects from the wi-fi t-mobile service all the time after 2 days. I got facebook invasion too some nut in LA, CA insists on logging into my facebook acct. Could it be related to my slow netbook and disconnection of my wi-fi connection in mid use? :confused:

Krissttina Isobe, Oct 16, 2015
  5. masx

something back

It's important that you resolve your facebook hack, you could be leaving

yourself wide open to all sorts of viruses, and identity theft issues.

There's a simple trick you could try next time,don't log on to facebook straight

away. Try using the computer, and see if it still slows down.

something back, Oct 16, 2015
  6. masx

Krissttina Isobe

SomethingBack: You know what...for the first 2 says the netbook went like it should no problems, fast like a 2010 computer, my cursor behaved. Then on 3rd day, it went junk...cursor moves while I type. Connection disconnects sometimes 3x in one hour! Now the window closes and I got to start all over again, but lucky on chrome so just got to click history last 6 windows and it most of my sites open just where I left it, some I got to start over again!
    In my facebook, places logged in has a different than me computer listed:
    IP=172.56.17.10. I usually get an alert where I can "end all activity" click. But this particular time no alert came, so no delete all activity appears in my security section to stop this persistent invader. The rest gave up eventually, but not Los Angeles. I'm going to report it to ic3.gov. for they don't get it after I end all activity. It does slow down a lot and sometimes freezes! Another thing happens is that things get high lighted for no reason. I've tried it and with or without facebook open the same bad things happen. They seem to get my IP from facebook to reek havoic I feel. Any other suggestions?

Krissttina Isobe, Oct 19, 2015
  7. masx

Krissttina Isobe

:(One last thing about my netbook borrow. Another person a librarian is having the same trouble as I am having when she uses the netbooks. One day another patron of netbook borrower came in the same time as I did and we began chatting about netbook borrows. I asked him if he had any troubles with his netbooks that he borrowed. He didn't have any troubles at all with his netbook. No cursor moving on it's own just no troubles at all and he always borrows netbooks from all over Honolulu.

Krissttina Isobe, Oct 19, 2015
  8. masx

something back

I would have a word with the library it's possible that the computers contains viruses.
    if you see the cursor moving on it's own then the network you are using has been hacked.

This is why you are having problems, TRY LOGGING ON TO A DIFFERENT NETWORK.

something back, Oct 19, 2015
  9. masx

Krissttina Isobe

Thanks for your help. I did mention it before and found that another librarian is having the same problems as I am with their netbook. I met another patron who has no problems at all with his netbook borrow. I reported the hacker and probably account thief to ic3.gov. Even when not logged into facebook and working on the internet at my writing gigs, the cursor jumps so bad! Yet at the library desktop and other laptops it doesn't happen. I keep on borrowing the netbook so I have an easier time taking care of my Mother at home who has health issues. Oh well, for now I just got to hope the nut thief finds a life and go away. I've tried firefox no chance of playing games there though. Same at firefox works good for 15 min.then the same things start happening. Networks is up to library I'm afraid. Thanks though for everything. Oh well. If you can think of anything else I'll be back to check. Thanks so much for your help.

Krissttina Isobe, Oct 20, 2015
  10. masx

something back

Well done taking care of your mother.
    Hope she feels better soon

something back, Oct 20, 2015
  11. masx

Krissttina Isobe

:):oops:Thanks so much! Take care.

Krissttina Isobe, Oct 20, 2015
  12. masx

KimmyMarkks

My old laptop would freeze all the time. I think because it was older and had a lot of programs installed on it. I would try cleaning the computer up. I downloaded CCleaner and let it clean up my computer. It took a few hours and my computer was frozen for a lot of the time it was running but it really did wonders on my computer. It is now running so much faster and hasn’t freezed in a long time. I don’t know if it is a permanent solution but it’s definitely a great temporary one. I would try running it every few weeks to really maximize the results.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 12, 2015
  13. masx

IcyBC

My old laptop does the same. Slow and freeze so I use CCleaner, and their registry option too! It worked for a while, but afterward, my 2 years old HP window laptop just died. I don't know for sure if it is the CCleaner, but I have read many articles about CCleaner could possibly be the cause of my mayhem. It is advised not to use the registry option.

IcyBC, Nov 16, 2015
  14. masx

KimmyMarkks

Oh wow. I hadn’t heard that. I use ccleaner a lot. Now you are making me nervous I’m harming my computer. I going to do more research on this. It would be such a shame if it does damage the computer because I feel like it actually helped a lot of my old computers run faster and not freeze as much.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 16, 2015
  15. masx

diligentworker

If your computer freezes often, perhaps the culprit is your hard drive. It may be fragmented or plagued with a more serious problem, like a virus. There are plenty of free defragmentation programs online that you can look into.

diligentworker, Dec 17, 2015
Ask a Question