Laptop for Parents

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by angela10, Oct 16, 2015.

1. angela10

angela10

Hey everyone! I got a pretty big bonus at work recently, and I was thinking of giving my parents (both of them, yep) laptops as a gift. Both my mom and dad are in their late 50s, and they're not really what I'd call "techies". They share a desktop at home, and that's it. My dad's often out for work and I think he might really need one. My mom, on the other hand, just likes reading novels on her phone (should I just get her an iPad/tablet?). Suggestions would be very much appreciated!

I don't want anything too high-end or expensive, since we're talking about non-techie parents here. So perhaps, just something they could use for work and to pass time will do.

angela10, Oct 16, 2015
    Sonam Ali likes this.
  2. angela10

Sefie

I think you should get them both a laptop :) May I recommend the latest Toshiba satellite? Toshiba laptops have proven to be really sturdy! They don't break easily and can offer you several years of service. My oldest Toshiba laptop is actually 8 years old ;) Plus they are really cheap! Great price and great quality, what else could you ask for?

As for tablets... ipads are kinda expensive, aren't they? And most android based tablets are... well, let's say you need to investigate a lot before buying one.

Sefie, Oct 16, 2015
  3. angela10

IcyBC

If it was me, I would give them both the iPad for each. Your dad can take it to work and if he wanted to entertain himself, he could easily do it too. Your mom loves to read so the iPad would give her a bigger screen to see, and if she wants to venture online, she can also do that.

IcyBC, Oct 16, 2015
  4. angela10

kesjw

kesjw, Oct 16, 2015
  5. angela10

Sonam Ali

I bought both my parents an IPAD and a keyboard to go with it. This way they had a portable tablet and keyboard to use at home. They love having the ability to turn their IPAD into a laptop (just attaching the keyboard). I think my dad uses the keyboard more than my mom. My mom primarily uses the IPAD to read, while Dad uses it to do business work. I think it's great that you are taking care of your parents. Good Luck!

Sonam Ali, Nov 5, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. angela10

Sonam Ali

I bought both my parents an IPAD and a keyboard to go with it. This way they had a portable tablet and keyboard to use at home. They love having the ability to turn their IPAD into a laptop (just attaching the keyboard). I think my dad uses the keyboard more than my mom. My mom primarily uses the IPAD to read, while Dad uses it to do business work. I think it's great that you are taking care of your parents. Good Luck!

Sonam Ali, Nov 5, 2015
  7. angela10

David Smith

Well how much are you looking to spend?

I'd say around 400 dollars all together? One for your mum and One for your dad. 200 for each one.

I'd recommend a ASUS, as there pretty cheap, good brand. Good price for what you're paying.

David Smith, Dec 7, 2015
  8. angela10

IcyBC

This was my idea too! And the keyboard suggestion is also wonderful! I have an iPad with keyboard attached and I can tell you, it works out great! I rather type than poking at the screen. I love my iPad and the keyboard option since it is so much easier for me to catch up with messages!

IcyBC, Jan 23, 2016
Ask a Question