Laptop designs

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Fuzyon, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

Am I the only one that noticed the laptop designs are quite stale? I pulled up a 10-year old laptop that I found in my dad's garage and it's similar to the laptop I bought in 2015, although not as slim and with a smaller screen. I feel like the designs aren't really that extravagant and fun to watch, laptop makers usually go for a sleek look which is clean but not that interesting.
    The same goes for Macbooks. You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between a 2009 and a 2016 one except for size.

Fuzyon, Jul 7, 2016
  2. Fuzyon

rz3300

Well I think that I can see where you are coming from if you are going from year to year, but I have some older ones and there are some pretty big differences. First off you cannot go too crazy because you have to follow the keyboard and screen standard, and you should see one of the screens that is on an old Dell. It is not rectangular like we see today, it is an even square and it is so weird looking, and just ugly and inconvenient too. They keys are huge, too. I think if you really look at some you can find some bigger changes.

rz3300, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Fuzyon

Corzhens

The standard design applies not only to laptops but also for desktops. There was a time that desktop makers wanted to be different so they created the mini-tower which is less than half the size of a standard desktop. But techs and repairmen complained that the case is so cramped and difficult to make repairs. That may also be the reason why laptop designs remain standard for radical designs may just create complications with the technical aspect of the laptop.

Corzhens, Jul 8, 2016
  4. Fuzyon

vinaya

The basic design of the laptop has remained same since laptops were made available in the market to make purchase. Originally laptop were heavy,thicker in size and could come with black and white monitor, however, the other functions are same.The major difference is the storage capacity. IN the old times laptop did not have big storage, The modern laptop are slim,lightweight and performs better.

vinaya, Jul 8, 2016
  5. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

Well I feel like you have a lot more freedom when it comes to desktops, the towers can have different designs, height and arrangement so you have a lot more choices. When it comes to laptops you have the basic keyboard and screen arangement with sometimes a hint of design and that's it. I guess laptop skins can help.

Fuzyon, Jul 10, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  6. Fuzyon

SirJoe

There is not much they can do. A laptops design has it's limitations. The best they can do is put some extra lights and change the color scheme. The general layout of a laptop is pretty much optimized and there isn't much room for change.

SirJoe, Jul 10, 2016
  7. Fuzyon

acerme2

Laptop manufacturers/designers can only do so much with the limited laptop layout. I've seen variations in color, size, thickness, and keyboard design. I've seen some outrageous keyboard designs, keypads that are too flat, and keyboards that actually look like external keyboards.

acerme2, Sep 1, 2016
  8. Fuzyon

fcuco

Or this could be a sing of the fact that laptop design has reached its peak and a case of "if ain't broken don't fix it", I actually prefer the plain and dull designs of modern laptops, I think adding anything else to it is just superfluous at this point and would only add weight and increase the price.

The real game changers are 2 in 1 laptops and Tablet / Laptops hybrids, there is where brand new ideas are being tested.

fcuco, Sep 1, 2016
  9. Fuzyon

BlueText

I always feel like some companies used design to hide the fact they didn't spend any time creating a good product. In the end, sometimes the boring looking laptop has the better technology innovations. Macs have been boring. Anytime Apple creates a pretty computer, it'll be a clunker. I remember the computers that came with translucent cover in multiple colors. They were evil and were always broke. But I agree, Macs haven't really changed in looks because they are focusing on shrinking the size and weight of the mac. Plus, I think they figure if you want to change the look of your computer, you'll get a cover for you laptop. A blank computer allows you to decorate how you want. But I think the boring computers show that the companies are focusing on the technical side like a more sensitive touch screen or more memory.

BlueText, Sep 2, 2016
  10. Fuzyon

Elektron

Well, I personally think there's no other design you could give to a laptop because of the screen and that sort of part it really needs, we all know that laptops are mostly made up of a screen and a keyboard and therefore, the design will pretty much be the same all the time, the thickness can change also the size, but the main concept will stay.

Elektron, Sep 5, 2016
  11. Fuzyon

cluckeyo

i bought my old laptop in 2008 sand retired it this year. There are 2 main differences between my old one and new one. First, though my new one is the same size as the old one, it is way, way lighter. A welcome change. Also, my old one did not have a keypad on the right for doing math. My new one does and I like this feature. So I am pretty pleased with the design changes.

cluckeyo, Sep 5, 2016
  12. Fuzyon

Elektron

The most noticeable difference between new and old models is the size and the weight of these. They're always lowering items weight and size just to make it look like a major change when it definitely is not, that's marketing.

Elektron, Sep 8, 2016
Ask a Question