Laptop as a Gift

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by glreese, Jun 6, 2016.

1. glreese

glreese

I want to get my boyfriend a laptop for his birthday this July. I have no idea which one I should get him though. I'm not super computer savvy. We are both college students. I am looking for something 400 dollars or less. I know he doesn't like macs. He doesn't do a lot of gaming, just a handful of times a year. He mainly uses it to take notes and stream movies on Netflix, and skype when we're not together. I want to get him something with a good battery life. Also, his current laptop is super heavy, which is part of the reason it broke. The screen of his laptop literally fell off, because he had it in his backpack and let his bag fall to the ground once. It was an 800 dollar computer that was one year old. It broke after one drop. So something a little more durable would be nice.

glreese, Jun 6, 2016
  2. glreese

Vash

With only $400 in budget, I doubt you can get something better than his old laptop. From the sound of it, his old laptop was bought for gaming. A lot of laptops with dedicated graphics card are indeed heavy. I have first hand experience. My $1100 Dell Vostro 1500 had a dedicated graphics card, and it was total 8 pounds in weight including the battery. It was heavy for a reason.

You can't get him something cheap, light, and fast at the same time. Cheap and light can go in the same sentence. Light and fast can go in the same sentence as well, but it won't come in cheap.

If you are unable to change your budget, then you should look at one of the low end laptops from any of the top brands. Lenovo, HP, Dell, Asus, etc. They all make good laptops. With your current budget, Core i3 or i5 is what you can get. Minimal 4GB RAM, 8GB would be better. Try to find one with dedicated graphics card if gaming is important to him.

Vash, Jun 26, 2016
  3. glreese

Corzhens

Gee, your boyfriend is sure lucky to have a generous girlfriend. I agree that a Mac is very expensive so it would be better to get a branded Windows laptop. And using the laptop for the movies, I guess you would need a good video and audio card to make the watching more enjoyable. But with that $400 budget, I guess that would suffice for a bare laptop that is functional but no more add on. Good luck to your hunting expedition.

Corzhens, Jun 28, 2016
  4. glreese

SirJoe

I think for the amount of money you are thinking of using, I'm sure you will be able to find something that can do exactly what you want, with one exception. I doubt that anything for that price will be very solidly built. Normally base computers are made from weak plastic and durability isn't one of there priorities.

SirJoe, Jun 28, 2016
  5. glreese

author33

I think you should buy a phone instead of laptop.

author33, Jul 7, 2016
  6. glreese

artyarson

It's a great idea I suppose. Laptops are getting old every day and we need to update our devices in order not to fall behind the technological progress. So, choose the best one for your significant other and make him feel good.

artyarson, Jul 7, 2016
Ask a Question