Kuki 3.0 Pre Release 1.7 is Out!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by superpp, Apr 27, 2009.

1. superpp

superpp

taken from kuki.me..............

Kuki 3.0 Pre Release 1.7 is Out!
    Posted by vw72 in ReleasesApr 27th, 2009 | No Comments
    Kuki 3.0 Pre Release 1.7 is out and can be downloaded from our download page. This version is based on the recently released Ubuntu 9.04 so it has the most recent versions of applications. Kuki 3.0 Pre Release 1.7 ships with a new custom kernel and the latest XFCE 4.6.0 desktop.

Installed Applications:
    Firefox for web browsing
    Pidgin for instant messaging/chat
    Claws Mail
    Audacious music player
    Mplayer movie viewer
    Zim for organizing thoughts and note taking
    Album Shaper for digital photos

Changes since Pre Release 1.6:
    Volume keys have been fixed
    Shutdown/Reboot has been fixed
    Further reduction from unneeded dependencies
    New window manager and icon themes
    Numerous under the hood tweaks

Because of the changes, there isn’t the ability to update from 1.6 to 1.7. You will need to do a fresh install. (LiveCD user id is kuki, leave the password blank)

Xorg.conf:
    Xorg.conf does it’s best to auto detect keyboard, mouse, video, etc. It does so correctly on the Acer Aspire One, however, it does not provide the best settings for video. A different xorg.conf is provided that can be user installed that gives much better video performance, but will make it so the volume keys no longer function. That is the unfortunate trade off (although we are still working on a resolution for this). If you want to use the enhanced xorg.conf, open a terminal and type sudo /usr/local/cfgKuki-xorg and a script will backup the original and copy the new one for you.

Remeber that this is a pre release, so it is not guaranteed to be bug free (but we do our best). If you do find bugs or have problems, please let us know in the forum or on irc chat (#kukilinux).

The Kuki team would like to thank every one for there help and support in getting this release out of the oven!

vw72

superpp, Apr 27, 2009
  2. superpp

tonecas

Excelent distro for the AAO.
    Fast boot. Fast working in simple aplications.
    All you need for AAO use .
    Thank YOU Kuki Team,
    Great Work :D

tonecas, Apr 28, 2009
  3. superpp

JimmiG

What's the battery life like? Regular Ubuntu tends to use noticeably more power than WinXP on my One, resulting in a shorter battery life. One of the main reasons I went back to XP.

JimmiG, Apr 29, 2009
  4. superpp

spaceholiday

I too am curious about battery life with Kuki, as well as fan control. Anyone know?

spaceholiday, Apr 29, 2009
  5. superpp

Andysan

Anyone have any experience using Kuki please - it looks like a very well suited distro for the AAO now and the Kuki team seem to be doing an ace job, but i don't see many people around here running it. I'm currently running Intrepid and with the SSD and only 512MB of thoughts it's a bit sluggish.

Andysan, Apr 30, 2009
  6. superpp

tonecas

I'm using kuki. LIKE IT !

tonecas, May 2, 2009
  7. superpp

bluelloydpugh

Hi there.
    I am very tempted to try this now it seems to very functional.

I have never used pidgin before though, and hear video conferencing on it is difficult.

If i get kuki on the go, will i be able to use my webcam with my msn contacts with pidgin?
    If not is there an easy way around this?

Thanks

bluelloydpugh, May 5, 2009
  8. superpp

lotus49

Can someone give a quick summary of what hardware works and what doesn't?

Despite having had my One for about 9 months, I am still a way from having all my hardware working in Ubuntu. The key problems are suspend with the LH card reader mounted on /home and the RH card reader.

Sickboy's kernel installed on a standard 9.04 installation allows me to suspend without trashing /home (LH SDHC card as mentioned above) but the RH card reader doesn't work properly. There are two other problems with his kernel in that my 3G card doesn't work and for some reason, Flash videos are too jerky to be watchable. Otherwise everything that I use works.

So, how about Kuki?

lotus49, May 5, 2009
  9. superpp

Joeb

Although there is a video conferencing plugin available for pidgin, pidgin doesn't do video conferencing/chat with msn. There is a program called aMSN, however, the video portion of it is somewhat buggy, too. At this point, vidoe chats are still problematic with linux, although skype works well.

Joeb, May 5, 2009
  10. superpp

Joeb

The 1.7 pre-release uses a later version sickboy's kernel and it installs automatically (although the livecd doesn't boot it). Both it and the generic 9.04 kernel are installed. Depending on which kernel you use, will require a different solution for your card reader. The kuki/sickboy kernel will need the pciehp module to be loaded as outlined in the various how to's for the aspire one. The generic kernel, having pciehp compiled in as a module, will need the fix outlined in ubuntu's site for 9.04 for the aspire one.

The default xorg.conf will cause poor video. There is an alternative xorg.conf included but not installed in the pre release. The downside is that using it breaks the hotkeys for volume up/down/mute, so you have to use the mixer applet. But the video throughput is much improved.

As for 3G, you might check on the kuki.me site or their freenode irc #kukilinux, they have people working on scripts for that.

Joeb, May 5, 2009
Ask a Question