Killed my 150.. maybe?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by UTJackal, Sep 8, 2008.

1. UTJackal

UTJackal

So i was using my 150 this morning, and then turned it off, or so i though. Had it open long enough to see logging out, then closed it and put it back in my backpack. An hour later I took it out, and it was really hot. I opened it, and the green power light was on, and there was a black screen (the screen was on, but black). So i manually turned it off, and then back on. It turned on, and then asked if i wanted to operate in safe mode, etc. First i selected start windows normally. This showed the windows loading page, and then just goes to a black blank screen and sits there as before. So i restarted again in safe mode. This runs normally, and then gives me a blank screen with a cursor that i can move around. After about 20 second, it gives me a memory dump (blue screen of death) and restarts.

Kind of winded explanation, but that's everything. Any ideas as to what is wrong? I've only dealt with desktops in the past, and i have never seen a computer act quite like this. I'm guessing it overheated and messed up something? But what? And i'm use to desktops who turn themselves off before any hardware harm is done due to overheating.

Thanks for your time,

Cliff

UTJackal, Sep 8, 2008
  2. UTJackal

GsRb0i

seems like it didnt shut down after you closed it and put it in your backpack. Thats why you make sure its off before you close the lid and put in the bag. May have overheated or maybe it hasnt. How long was in your back pack until you took it out?

GsRb0i, Sep 8, 2008
  3. UTJackal

UTJackal

It was in there about 50 minutes. Is there any way i can tell if something overheated? I'm comfortable taking it apart, but i don't want to take the processor off or anything.

UTJackal, Sep 9, 2008
  4. UTJackal

clevin

does AC make any difference?

I would boot the machine with a Linux LiveCD and back up the data, then try a system restoration.

clevin, Sep 9, 2008
  5. UTJackal

evi1d33d

I wouldn't open it since there's no way you can tell if it overheated just from looking at the components. Return it for RMA instead since opening it will void your warranty.

The AA1 operates 60C idle and 75C+ under load, so if you put it in a backpack with no airflow you are most likely overheated the laptop.

evi1d33d, Sep 9, 2008
  6. UTJackal

UTJackal

Well i have already opened it to put a gig of ram in it. I can swap it back. Is there any way they can tell it was open?

UTJackal, Sep 9, 2008
  7. UTJackal

Tavel

they probably can tell it was opened, that's what their techs do all day.

that seems odd though. the same thing happened to me and it was just fine. Actually, I was a worse about it. It was in the backpack, in the sleeve, for almost 2 hours. it may have shut off before I actually removed it because the battery ran flat, but I had at least an hour of charge left and it was still toasty warm when I removed it. I plugged it in and it worked just fine, it even cooled off fairly quickly once the fan starting moving some air through it.

Tavel, Sep 9, 2008
  8. UTJackal

UTJackal

Mine was in the sleeve as well, but like i sad, 50 minutes tops and was still on when i took it out. Cooled down pretty quick, but even now a day later still won't work. :(

Guess i'll bring it up to best buy today and see what they think, although they will probably just tell me they can send it off. If all else fails i guess i'll just reinstall the 512 and ship it to acer.

UTJackal, Sep 9, 2008
  9. UTJackal

evi1d33d

You can always use the 'it doesn't work' trick ;) . But I doubt if they have any more AA1 instock for an exchange.

evi1d33d, Sep 10, 2008
  10. UTJackal

UTJackal

Well luckily they told me that they will diagnose it, and if they determine it is a hardware issue that isn't my fault, which this doesn't constitute as my fault, then they will give me a new one or give me my money back because it is within 14 days of the purchase. Seeing as my job just gave me a new macbook, i might just take the money and cut my losses, or lack there of.

:D

UTJackal, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question