Keyboard typing odd key combinations

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Chubby_Ninja, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Chubby_Ninja

Chubby_Ninja

Hi all, I have a keyboard issue. When I press the L key it types /l holding shift down types /L I'll list a few more

• C will type c.
    • The down arrow will type -
    Some letters are OK like O, U, T, K and numbers are fine.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Chubby_Ninja, Jul 3, 2016
  2. Chubby_Ninja

Brian8gbSSDLinux

You haven't said if this is a new laptop or an old one that has just been 'upgraded'
    I haven't see those sort of problems though i have seen problems where users have accidentally chosen the wrong country code/ type of keyboard during set up

The TOP line of most (NOT ALL) keyboards reads Left to right... QWERTYUIOP

there are also AZERTYUIOP keyboards (Top line)
    or even QWERTZUIOP from Germany

The keyboard may say QWERTYUIOP but the computer 'Languge; MAY be giving you the letters for a 'Foreign@ Keyboard

I suggest you do a quick check..

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jul 3, 2016
  3. Chubby_Ninja

Chubby_Ninja

Hi thanks for the reply, The laptop is an 18month old Asus X550C and is running Windows 10 with current updates. The keyboard is set to English UK and language settings are set correctly, the date and time are set to the correct time and so is the time zone (GMT London) I have tried uninstalling the drivers but same issue, I created a new User account and same thing happens, also checked the Asus Admin account and again same thing happens when pressing the L key etc.

If I use the on-screen keyboard everything types fine and if I connect a USB keyboard, again, everything types perfectly, which leads me to believe it's either a faulty keyboard or maybe a corrupt driver issue. I'll run a SFC /scannow when I get home and and see if I can get a driver from a properly working laptop. and install that. could also be a loose cable so i'll check that too.

I'll let you know the results and thanks for the tips.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Chubby_Ninja, Jul 3, 2016
  4. Chubby_Ninja

ProNine

Have you tried using another keyboard just to make sure that it's not the computer at fault? You say that it's 18 months old, but how long have you had it? It could be that the keyboard keys are set in their right place, but the actual keyboard is not wired properly.

ProNine, Jul 4, 2016
Ask a Question