Keyboard map issue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Zippo, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Zippo

Zippo

My aspire one comes with the Italian keyboard layout.
    I chose English as system language during the initial settings, planning to change key map afterwards.
    But there's no way to get the right layout. As I click on the small EN icon on the taskbar nothing happens.
    I opened the SCIM setup, in the global settings I set Italian as Keyboard Layout but nothing changes.

Any clue to solve this problem?
    Thanks in advance.

Zippo, Jul 15, 2008
  2. Zippo

Guest Guest

I need help on this one too.

Even with the Advance Mode hack I couldn't figure out how to add another keyboard map. The only wokaround i've found is "setxkbmap pt" on Terminal but after you reboot the configuration is lost.

Note: For testing purposes I've made a recovery using the USB disk, chose Portugal and was able to switch between English and Portuguese.

Guest, Jul 16, 2008
  3. Zippo

Guest Guest

Any news on this one, I have selected UK English, but its clearly using US English.
    Anyone resolved such issues?

Guest, Jul 16, 2008
  4. Zippo

baseline

baseline, Jul 16, 2008
  5. Zippo

gerarddelafas

Hi I've the same problem (English keyboard instead of Italian one).
    I've changed it typing in terminal setxkbmap it but I want to make a definitely change because at every system reboot I loose this keyboard map configuration and the system restore en/us keyboard map.

how can I change the xorg conf file? what is the path of this file?

I'd like to change also system language into Italian (now it's English).

Thanks

gerarddelafas, Jul 17, 2008
  6. Zippo

jeromlenz

Ok I could make it work after several tries, it's a bit complicated (as always with Linux?!...I wanna try OS-X now! :twisted: ) ...
    First, enable the Desktop mode as described here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20#p152

- right-click anywhere on the desktop and choose > System > Add/Remove Software
    - enter your root password
    - go into > Base System > Administration Tools > Optional packages
    - tick 'system-config-language - 1.2.12-1.fc8.noarch - ...' and perform all installations proposed

When it is over:
    - Alt-F2 and run command 'system-config-language'
    - enter your root password
    - select back 'English (USA)' - or 'English (UK)' - or 'Italian (Italy) Italiano' ;)
    - reboot your system and enjoy your descriptions, menus... and keyboard by default at last!

I also tried first the command 'system-config-keyboard' only to put back the keyboard with a US-layout (worked fine) and keep the OS in French, but the keyboard parameter was again lost at startup... (I don't think it's possible to mix a different OS language and keyboard without having to switch every time an application is opened with Alt-Shift.)
    Edit 18Jul08: it is now possible after the corrections received from > Settings > Live Update. Coool! ;)

Also tried editing xorg.conf file first but changes were lost at startup(?!)
    That's the shortest solution I could find :roll: (give it 15 minutes to go through all steps) and a faster solution is sure welcome.

Small flaw from the Acer/Linspire developers that will have again beginners or even advanced users lose some precious time! :ugeek:
    (and menu "Settings" > "Input Languages" just doing nothing/not working as it should!? Was better on the Asus eee 4G with Xandros if I remember well.)

jeromlenz, Jul 17, 2008
  7. Zippo

Guest Guest

I just tried this, and it all looks great, apart from there is no English (UK) in the list :(
    How can I add this?

Thanks in advance.

Guest, Jul 17, 2008
  8. Zippo

gerarddelafas

Great jeromlenz, Thanks!!! :D

I was behind proxy so I use ntlmaps to download packages from fedora repository.

Now Language is in Italian ;)
    I also changed keyboard language into Italian but after rebooting the system the keyboard returns to default language :(

I agree with you about acer developers... they could have made keyboard customization work propertly before release their product. :evil:

I hope we can solve this problem.

9. Zippo

nizmo

Same here :?

nizmo, Jul 17, 2008
  10. Zippo

Wesi72

Same here - I can get the keyboard to work as a UK keyboard using system-config-keyboard, but it goes back to the US layout after a reboot. I wonder if SCIM has anything to do with it - can I just remove it without causing any damage? - I'm new to this Linux lark!

Wesi72, Jul 17, 2008
  11. Zippo

gerarddelafas

I downloaded and installed the plugin: xfce4-xkb-plugin

Code:
    yum install xfce4-xkb-plugin
    now it is corrected the US locale bug (now there is the American Flag instead of EN) but I cannot be able to use italian keyboard map.

I noticed that If I type:

Code:
    export LC_ALL=it_IT.UFT-8
    at the reboot the locale LC_ALL is void, moreover is I change the /etc/X11/xorg.conf settings from 'us' to 'it', after reeboting the system the settings will be restored to default ones. :shock:

is there a kind of init script that override the user settings with the installation default ones?

12. Zippo

Guest Guest

gerarddelafas, xorg.conf is replaced at every boot :|

I also noticed that there are a lot of new updates available at live update and that after reboot the keyboard icon on the systray has EN (US) instead of EN only. Can anyone confirm if it has been fixed?

Guest, Jul 18, 2008
  13. Zippo

Guest Guest

I hadnt seen anything for LiveUpdate on mine.
    I will have to have a look later.

Guest, Jul 18, 2008
  14. Zippo

gerarddelafas

I solve it re-install the system from the USB recovery, than set Italian as Installation Language so the system set Italian as LOCALE.

It's a kind of workaround and is not a real solution :(

gerarddelafas, Jul 18, 2008
  15. Zippo

Kev50027

So what about the @ problem? On my One (US version), when pressing shift + 2, it places a quote sign (") in rather than the @ sign. This is a problem for signing in to mail accounts and such.

Kev50027, Jul 18, 2008
  16. Zippo

Guest Guest

last night live updates didn't solve anything.

still waiting for a solution. if only xorg.org didn't get replaced at each boot! :evil:

Guest, Jul 18, 2008
  17. Zippo

jeromlenz

I got the US version too and it works fine with Shift+2.
    (What is your system-config-language when you run this command? Should be English(USA). Another language will map the keyboard accordingly at each reboot.)

The new Asus updates available today should solve these issues hopefully (and allow for more flexibility combining OSlanguage+different keyboard).
    See there : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=187&p=1319#p1319

Edit: indeed after updating Linspire (18Jul2008) it is now possible to choose one language for the OS and a different keyboard.
    (Tested with French.) Also EN(US) and EN(UK) keyboard layouts are available and working.

Acer/Linspire developers and testers maybe took a look here and solved most 'popular' problems/FAQs? Great!!
    Good job pals'! ;)

jeromlenz, Jul 18, 2008
  18. Zippo

Kev50027

Still having a problem with the keyboard acting like it's a "UK" keyboard, with shift+2 making a " rather than @. I tried changing the input language to English (US), but even after a restart, it still says EN (UK) on the taskbar. How do I change it to US for good? I chose US on first boot.

Kev50027, Jul 19, 2008
  19. Zippo

Guest Guest

I've got the same issue. I have done the latest updates and my language (in the little square at the bottom is showing EN (UK) and of course that's how the keyboard is behaving. Trouble is can't find anywhere in settings where I have the option of changing to EN(US). Could anyone please point me as to where I should find it? Under settings>input method >global set up, there is no option for EN(US) or EN(UK). Should I be looking somewhere else?
    I have downloaded the patch suggested in the thread and if I run the command system-config-language it is showing as English (USA) !

Guest, Jul 19, 2008
  20. Zippo

speekergeek

Ditto on that same problem, no solution here. :cry:

speekergeek, Jul 19, 2008
Ask a Question