Keyboard issues

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Markl, May 11, 2018.

1. Markl

Markl

Hi, most of the keys on my Acer aspire 5750 have stopped working. I have tried to connect a USB and a wireless keyboard and these don’t appear to work at all. The USB ports appear to be working as my attached mouse is all good as is the touchpad. I have tried rebooting and resetting the keyboard settings etc. As far as I can tell my drivers are up to date as well.
    Any help would be appreciated, I imagine its more complicated than just replacing the keyboard?
    Thank you.

Markl, May 11, 2018
  2. Markl

something back

Welcome to the laptop forums site.

Right click on the bottom windows icon then click on “Device manager”

goto the “usb controllers” click on it, then right click on each usb item and choose uninstall device on each line.

Restart your machine after you have done the process.

See if that cures the problems you have been having.

something back, May 11, 2018
  3. Markl

Markl

Thank you for your reply but unfortunately I still have the same problem, a few keys work on the laptop and none work from a wired USB keyboard.
    Thanks again for trying.

Markl, May 12, 2018
  4. Markl

something back

Next thing to try is to restore your system to an earlier date. It could be a item of software
    you downloaded that is conflicting.

You will have to load a on screen keyboard program until you get things working

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    something back, May 12, 2018
  5. Markl

Markl

Markl, May 13, 2018
  6. Markl

Markl

Thank you again, now you are testing my limits, I will try to figure out how to load an on screen keyboard, without any ability to download to my laptop because of above issues. Honestly I wondered if that was possible, will let you know how I get on.
    Quick question, I’m running Windows 10, what is I reinstalled windows 7 from the CD, would that be a possible answer?

Markl, May 13, 2018
  7. Markl

something back

Using your mouse click on the bottom windows icon,goto windows ease of access section.
    You will find the on screen keyboard. Just click on it.

Once you have the online keyboard working type recovery in the bottom search bar.

You can then restart windows 10 a fresh.

something back, May 13, 2018
  8. Markl

Markl

My ignorance of such things is boundless. Anyway thank you once again for your help, I think we are getting closer to a solution.
    Onscreen keyboard all ok and have started a restore. However I would appear to be stuck on 99% of updating system. Everything else, restoring system is 100%, have been stuck here for hours which I’m picking isn’t normal, I would have no option but to restart the laptop and start agin which I will try in the morning and let you know how I go.
    I am using Acer eRecovery Management v8.3.1.
    Anyway will get back tomorrow.

Markl, May 14, 2018
  9. Markl

Markl

Ok, so know my problem is that my system locks at 99%, I tried again but same thing. I have tried to hardboot but it goes only to the Acer eRecovery management utility and I cannot get out of it.
    Have not tried full restore to factory defaults yet as would prefer to keep data if possible.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Cheers

Markl, May 15, 2018
  10. Markl

something back

With what you are saying about the acer recovery program not working it's looking
    like you are going to be doing a complete reinstall.

Try to gather as much serial numbers from your programs before you start this must include your windows 10 and have all the software available.

If possible save your records to a flash drive.

Try the method I listed type recovery in the bottom search bar.

Here's a program link for obtaining a windows installation iso make either a dvd or flash drive installation disk from it before you go a head.

https://www.freewarefiles.com/Microsoft-Windows-ISO-Download-Tool_program_107698.html

This program will assist you in finding your windows 10 serial number

https://www.freewarefiles.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder_program_4857.html

When your up and working this program will help updating your drivers

https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    something back, May 15, 2018
    RiverFam likes this.
  11. Markl

Manchester Laptop

Hi,

Download a portable OS and install on USB. Boot through the USB and see if your keyboard works. This will give you a fair idea where to look next.

Manchester Laptop, Jul 24, 2018
Ask a Question