Keyboard and Touch Pad not working

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by LivetoErr, Jan 16, 2014.

1. LivetoErr

LivetoErr

I took my Toshiba laptop apart to fix a broken lever for the screen. Got all of that fix and put everything back together. Now my keyboard and touch pad doesn't work. I took it apart again and made sure everything was attached and it appeared to be. There are two ribbon cables: one big, which I assume is for the keyboard, and one little one for the touchpad. Then, there are two connections that clip in. Those appear to me sound.

Any idea what the issue could be?

LivetoErr, Jan 16, 2014
  2. LivetoErr

elPaulio Moderator

Are the ribbon cables the type that have no connector on and push into a connector on the MB with clips either side?

If so then double check that the clips are fully loose when you push the cable fully in and push the clips down.
    They are a pest to put together properly.

Paul

elPaulio, Jan 16, 2014
  3. LivetoErr

LivetoErr

The one for the keyboard has the clips on the side. The one for the motherboard has one that you can lift up.

I fiddle around with the silly thing for about 4 hours yesterday. I had the touch pad working right away, after lifting up the flap and sticking it in there real good. The keyboard, on the other hand, was a pain in my butt. I could get some keys working but not others. If I held down the ribbon I'd get all the letters but as soon as I moved my hand the a and k (plus their associated letters) wouldn't work. I gave up at about midnight last night.

Then this morning, I inspected the little piece of plastic that hangs over the edge. It was not holding tight. So I cut a new piece of plastic of some packaging bubble I had, stuck in it and now it's fixed.

Thanks for your reply and for the inspiration to give it one more try before taking it to a repair shop!

LivetoErr, Jan 18, 2014
  4. LivetoErr

elPaulio Moderator

No worries!!
    Those connectors are a pain to get back together properly especially when your trying to work under the keyboard!!

Glad you got it all back together and working and saved yourself a bit of cash in the process :)

Paul

elPaulio, Jan 18, 2014
Ask a Question