Just swapped my wlan with a Dell 1390

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yesbar, May 27, 2009.

1. yesbar

yesbar

I know there probably are a lot of threads like this in here but I just needed to let you guys know.

I installed OS X on my AAO using iAtkos5 well knowing that my Atheros WLAN card wouldnt work. So I went on ebay and searched for a wlan card that would fit in the AAO and was compatible (and stable) with OS X. I found that the Dell 1390 would fit perfectly and the best part is that it only cost around 12$ including freight from Hongkong to Denmark - Sweet! :D

After around 10 days (5 business days) the card came in the mail. With no experience, apart from assemblying computers, I began taking my laptop apart. When I was holding 20 screws and 2 rubber feet in one hand and the keyboard in the other I could take the frame off :) And there it was. Neat little WLAN card only attached with a single screw. When I unscrewed it the card just popped out and the new one fitted perfectly. Next was the reassembly which was a lot easier than taking it apart. I quickly turned on my improved AAO and covered my eyes in fear of what would happen (more like what would not happen). But the screen turned on and everything worked perfectly. When it booted into OS X I plugged in my ethernet cable and was ready to begin searching for drivers for the new wlan card. But OS X detected it right away and it worked like a charm 5 seconds later. Even the little wlan light and the button in the lower right corner of the AAO works as intended.

All I can say is that if you are having trouble with your current WLAN card or want to try out OS X on your AAO the Dell 1390 is the way to go. Cheap and easy to install.

Feel free to message me if you need help.

Link to an ebay seller for the card: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Pci-Wirele...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

yesbar, May 27, 2009
  2. yesbar

bugsrunner

I've done the same but on Windows Seven. Did it because the Atheros wifi was crappy and would lose connection 100 times a day.
    This one works perfect.

bugsrunner, May 30, 2009
  3. yesbar

jakerrulz

hey, glad to hear that it works perfectly in osx...but what about windows xp??/
    i cant find any drivers that work, and the one from dell fails on install because its not a dell laptop.

any installation guides???

thanks in advance

jakerrulz, Jun 16, 2009
  4. yesbar

manou

Thanks yesbar. I got the Dell wifi card from the same seller and the wifi runs now much more smooth and stable. Where the signnal was frequently lost before it is now running just fine. I was too chicken to do it myself though - went down to my local IT geek to get it done.

manou, Jun 23, 2009
  5. yesbar

sch911

You don't use the Dell install. Just the Dell extraction. Then using device manager select "Update Driver" and point the install wizzard to the directory where the Dell files are...

sch911, Jun 23, 2009
Ask a Question