Joining Windows workgroup

Discussion in 'Linux' started by stanfish, Aug 30, 2008.

1. stanfish

stanfish

Has anyone worked out how to join a Windows workgroup with Linplus? Acer help line had no clue, and there doesn't seem to be anything on the forum about this. My printer is ethernet cable connected to my router, as is my desktop. My spouse' laptop is connected by wireless. There does not seem to be any utility in Linplus to join this network wirelessly. Anybody help?

stanfish, Aug 30, 2008
  2. stanfish

zacd

I installed Smb4K using the package manager. It has a graphical network browser and allows me to connect to network shares and printers. I have to run Smb4K as root to connect to shares though.

zacd, Aug 31, 2008
  3. stanfish

namaste

Try install nautilus , the Gnome file manager. I can connect to my mixed windows and linux internal network without any problem

namaste, Sep 2, 2008
  4. stanfish

asgardian

Namaste - do you have a walk-through for us Linux noobs? With the add/remove tool on the AA1 alot of file pop up, which is the right file, and how do we set it up? Thanx for your time.

asgardian, Sep 2, 2008
  5. stanfish

namaste

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2523

let's use step 1) to 3)....

you have to install the traditional desktop, and reduce conflicts, othervise you cannot install nautilus

namaste, Sep 3, 2008
  6. stanfish

scottw22

The KDE file manager (Dolphin) installed effortlessly from the terminal for me and gives full access to my mixed network.

scottw22, Sep 6, 2008
  7. stanfish

achiss

achiss, Sep 6, 2008
  8. stanfish

Edge

Will confirm that Dolphin works perfectly to access windows shares, installed it from add/remove programmes. Its under kde and its d3lphin there seems the name changed somewhere along the line. Can also just do the "sudo yum install d3lphin". Download is round 50mb so its set up in no time and then access from right click menu, where it is called dolphin again :?. Got this linux noob confused, but least I can get to my windows folders now.

Edge, Dec 27, 2008
  9. stanfish

John-H

I've installed D3lphin through Add/Remove programs without any problem, but I can't get it to see my home workgroup. Could someone explain how to make it see the network

I tried editing the Network bookmark to 'smb://workgroup' also to 'smb://192.xxx.x.xx' and failed miserably :-(

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

John

** Happy New Year **

John-H, Jan 1, 2009
  10. stanfish

Edge

Hey, you just need the IP of the computer that has the shared files on it and the name of the folder.

With this information open D3lphin/Dolphin and go to network.

Click add network folder.

Microsoft windows Network drive selected, click next.

For name give it whatever you want,

Server= IP of host computer

Folder= name of folder that is shared

Click save and connect with create icon selected.

You should now have connected to the shared folder and also there is now an icon in network in Dolphin that you can use for the next time.

You can also use the icon and just change the IP at the top of it to connect to other computers, although I seem to get asked for a Password and username with Vista shares, that will have to be handled on the Windows side as I have gotten it with XP aswell so I suspect it has nothing to do with Linpus/Dolphin workings.

Hope that gets you up and running.

Edge, Jan 6, 2009
  11. stanfish

John-H

Thanks Edge,
    at first your instructions made no sense at all, then I uninstalled D1phin through add/remove programs and then did sudo yum install dolphin through terminal and got a different and better version (this time called Dolphin) which happily sees all the network drives on my Windoze network.

Think a little bit of Linux is sinking in to this M$ shriveled brain at last.

Thanks again.

John

John-H, Jan 10, 2009
  12. stanfish

buyone

I wanted to see and use the other computers on my home network just as I did in Windows.

So I did this

.....launch the file browser in super user mode ......

<alt>F2 sudo thunar <return>

I edited /etc/samba/smb.conf to have the workgroup name, a server name & a netbios name(make something up) (first make a backup of the original file!)
    Alter the hosts allow to include your net address range but keep the 127. definition, something like
    hosts allow = 127. 192.168.0
    or hosts allow = 127. 192.168.1

Change -- security = share -- really insecure

In the Share Definitions [homes] section add

guest ok = yes

public = yes

and now save it.

Smb4K is a Samba share browser so I installed that.
    right click on the desktop ........ System ...... Add/Remove Software ... search for smb4k and select it etc.

Now, running smb4k , <alt>F2 smb4, I could see the network but mounting the network shares failed.

You have to be root to mount shares so to keep things simple (and insecure) I allowed all users. This is done from a terminal session, <alt>F2 sudo terminal,

then typing "chmod u+s /usr/bin/smb4k_mount /usr/bin/smb4k_ umount".

This worked perfectly and now I can access my Windows files from within Linux! Not tested on VISTA.

Adapted from colinmorris.org with thanks and some mods by me.

Work to do - make a desktop icon for smb4k that runs it.

(Note .. LinNeighborhood & pyNeighborhood ?spelling? also browse networks.)

buyone, Jan 12, 2009
  13. stanfish

solpuerto

Hi

I need some help. I have installed Dolphin and by clicking on Network then Samba Shares. I then get a folder that is called Mshome, the network name on my Desktop XP PC. I can then click on this and see the folders/files I have set as share on the PC. So far so good.

My problem is I cannot open them. If I try I am asked what I want to open them with. I have tried the /user/share/applications and selected the appropriate application but nothing happens except some times it say application not found. I should say I am trying to open an Open Office word document as an example. I use this on both the Aspire and my PC.

I have looked at the post by Edge above but no mention is made of Samba shares and I get nothing about adding IP address.

I also add that I cannot see the Aspire from my XP PC.

Any advice appreciated.

solpuerto, Jan 16, 2009
  14. stanfish

Edge

Hi solpuerto

Using that Samba shares link in Dolphin, I can see all my network shares from all computers and access them.

There should also be 2/3 icons under the network tab. The one to the right is for manually adding a network folder and saving it.

If you don't have all 2/3 icons, look just above the block with the icons in it and type your ip in the address bar there, that might help.

Also what version of Dolphin do you have? I installed mine with "sudo yum install d3lphin" in terminal. Add/remove might have a older version listed I get:

Dolphin
    Version 1.1
    Using KDE 4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3)

Also, I think I might have updated Samba, dunno if it was on this install or not. "sudo yum update samba" 'SHOULD' work but I am not exactly sure.

Good Luck

Edge, Jan 23, 2009
  15. stanfish

solpuerto

Hi Edge

Thanks for response.

I have the same version as you but I had not updated Samba. Did that but no change, I can still see all my shares on XP but cannot open them. Just tried using Dolphin to open files held on the Aspire and I cannot open them either, so it seems not a network problem.

As you can see from my signature I have Ubuntu on a USB stick and that picks up the network files no problem.

I have modified the desktop to use the full function Xfce desktop and now wonder if that has something to do with my problem. I notice comments about Dolphin not being compatible under Xfce on their web site.

solpuerto, Jan 25, 2009
  16. stanfish

Edge

Hey

I have also made that mod, and it still works fine for me, I'm too new at linux to know how it all fits together so unfortunately I have no other suggestions.

A friend of mine thinks it might be a missing library, but to find out if it is and then which one will be difficult and a process I can't give advice on either.

Good luck
    ~Edge

Edge, Jan 27, 2009
  17. stanfish

solpuerto

Hi Edge

Many thanks for response. I gave up on trying to get Dolphin to work as it was beyond my technical ability.
    I then tried Konqueror/Kdebase and it worked with no setup at all. It was rather the same as I get with Ubuntu i.e. it just found the XP network straight away and I now have full access to all my shared folders.

Your friend may have a point as I understand both Dolphin and Konqueror are from the same roots but with Konqueror you have to download the full Kdebase which is also a web browser.

The important thing is I now have the One as part of my network.

Again thanks for the interest.

solpuerto, Jan 27, 2009
  18. stanfish

ice_snow

I can confirm that it will SEE the Vista shares, but it will not allow access to them. I even added the guest account on my Vista Box and still nothing (I saw that on another forum, I can't remember which one it was).

So my question is, do any of these methods mentioned here work for full access to a Vista share?

EDIT
    Dolphin allows me to see, read and write to my Vista Box.

ice_snow, Feb 15, 2009
  19. stanfish

Nandkumar

I installed D3lphin successfully. On trying to connect Windows network, I get a message Error 'D3lphin. Malformed. remote:/URL

Can someone advise me how to access Windows network and solve this problem.

Nandkumar, Feb 20, 2009
Ask a Question