Is the SSD now competitive with HDD in price?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Corzhens, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

We are awaiting for some news about SSD, the quality on protecting the integrity of data. I remember in the olden days when the diskette was in fashion, data would be corrupted when the diskette is stored for some months. Is SSD competitive with the HDD in terms of integrity of data? And how about the durability or life span? Last question is the cost since we are conscious with the budget. I would want to buy an SSD for our new computer if we can afford it.

Corzhens, Jun 19, 2016
  2. Corzhens

Vash

SSD has no moving parts. So it can't "crash" like traditional spinning hard disks. So yes, it is safer for data keeping than traditional hard drives.

While SSD is still more expensive than traditional HDD, but the current prices of SSD is comparable to the old price of HDD.
    I mean come on, I remember the time I paid $200 for 1TB Western Digital internal hard drive not so long ago. If I go back further, it was over $100 for just 20GB back in around the year 2000.

SSD is already cheap enough to be a common merchandise. It is no longer a luxury item it once was. All the latest laptops and tablets are coming with SSD,

Vash, Jun 20, 2016
  3. Corzhens

something back

It's still expensive if you require a larger ssd

something back, Jun 22, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  4. Corzhens

Vash

It is expensive if you are on a very limited budget. We used to pay more money to buy traditional spinning HDD than the current price of SSD. It is just the matter of available budget, and nothing more. Although I do not think it is a good idea to buy the largest capacity available unless you truly need that much storage space right now. If you are looking at in a long run, then you should just buy according to your current need. Anything beyond extra 15% free space is a waste.

Vash, Jun 25, 2016
  5. Corzhens

spence88

The SSD, as many review sites have said, is the single most noticeable upgrade you can do to your computer. I can vouch for that. If you still haven't done so, you're missing a lot. You can buy 128gb SSDs today at $40-60 and the top end ones at $70-90 either of which is already a good deal in my opinion. As for durability and integrity, according to reviews, it will be long obsolete before you use up its read/write cycles! SSDs also have higher shock resistance than HDDs, but it doesn't really matter / irrelevant because a drop will most likely (if not almost certainly) kill any drive.

spence88, Jun 28, 2016
  6. Corzhens

Fuzyon

SSDs have been competitive with HDDs in terms of price for a while now, they're not a luxury or something only power user have anymore. Some SSDs were cheaper than HDDs back in 2015's Black Friday Sale, I managed to snag a couple of them (120 GB ones from Kingston, they're pretty decent) before they ran out. Definitely look into buying one if you want to improve your laptop.

Fuzyon, Jun 28, 2016
Ask a Question