Is Microsoft forcing you to install Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sefie, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

If you are getting this notification letting you know Windows 10 will be installed in your computer in x day, then no worries guys. The day I got this notification I thought that was it, because there was no cancel button option visible. But to my surprise there was one the next day I checked. So I did cancel it, but before that I was told that if I changed of mind and I decided to install Windows 10 I could revert the changes after 30 days. So no worries guys :) We have a choice.

By the way, I didn't bother to try it. Mostly because I was afraid something would be messed up during the installation and when reverting the changes.

Sefie, Mar 30, 2016
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

Have done this on my son's Toshiba yet, but it did pop up and I clicked it out! One day, I will have to but it is today or next week :)

IcyBC, Mar 30, 2016
  3. Sefie

CasualGoofy

That message often shows up on relative's HP laptop. I never got it on this notebook. I don't know why.

CasualGoofy, Mar 30, 2016
  4. Sefie

JBreezeA

I actually wrote an update for a client's social media Facebook account. Right now, they are not forcing you to install Windows 10, but if you will have it regardless. Right now, yes you do have the option to revert back. But this article, which is on the Microsoft site, states all laptops and computers will have Windows 10. If you opt out today, the disadvantage is that one day you will open your laptop and your OS will have updated on its own to Windows 10. I suggest upgrading it, getting used to it, learn it now or possibly panic later. Just a suggestion.
    I loved Vista. But we all know what happened to that and XP, etc. Windows 10 is really not that bad, but from the reviews it is not as great for those without a touch screen.

JBreezeA, Mar 31, 2016
  5. Sefie

IBMPC8088

Microsoft cannot downgrade, er "update" your laptop to Windows 10 if the WAT (Windows Activation Technology) and certain components are removed from the system and hidden %AppData% folder, and specific keys on the registry are changed to prevent Microsoft from ever being able to connect to it or try to backdoor it to get their Windows 10 virus on there without your consent.

I still put together secured and hardened Windows 7 systems for people from time to time and have to make sure they stay protected from Microsoft's viruses (windows updates) as well as traditional threats.

Personally, I'll never have to worry about Microsoft doing that because of the way that I've configured windows to work and use a virtual gateway for networking on top of the other changes.

The only way Microsoft is going to get Windows 10 on my main system right now is if they find a way to use the Synaptic Package Manager to do it. ;)

IBMPC8088, Mar 31, 2016
    JBreezeA likes this.
  6. Sefie

JBreezeA

Very, very smart! So that doesn't do anything to your laptop by removing those components?

JBreezeA, Mar 31, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. Sefie

IBMPC8088

Thank you @JBreezeA. :) It doesn't do anything to the hardware physically, and only helps to secure the software in ways that Microsoft never seems to do ermanently for the consumer like other operating systems have. Many of the design errors in Microsoft have been persistent ever since Windows 3.11 / Windows for Workgroups, and Microsoft seems to have found an unparalleled opportunity in leaving it that way, partly for other corporations that would want or need things via backdoors against the consumer to put even more profit into Microsoft's pocket, but also for Microsoft itself. After all, before Google began to harvest information and steal people's ideas...Microsoft did it first. ;)

If you remove those components, your laptop will be somewhat more secure than normal (even with kernel issues still present), but there are spyware components in many Microsoft products which won't allow those programs to run or will make them crash if they cannot run to connect home.

One way around that is to make those programs think that they have, and you get to see them trying to leak data to 127.0.0.1 instead on a network monitor which reveals Microsoft's antics all too well...but most users are not going to be at liberty to be able to do this most times.

So if they try to protect themselves from that, they can and those components can be removed to make sure of it where others wouldn't be...but the downside is that Microsoft will intentionally make some programs not work for users who won't understand why that is happening and that this is the root cause of it doing so.

IBMPC8088, Mar 31, 2016
  8. Sefie

UpgradeMe

I'm a bit confused by this. I haven't received any notifications and I'm running on Windows 7. Are they automatically updating devices to Windows 10 that might not support it? And yes, I am very aware that windows updates are pretty awful and have been dodging them like bullets since I figured that part out....oh look at that, 70% cpu with nothing running...

UpgradeMe, Mar 31, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. Sefie

IBMPC8088

Yes they are. They seem to go at random or after people who have recent Microsoft licenses for other software installed.

The more they do, the more chances they have to win the jackpot of having their PC or laptop turned into a bucket of bolts or a doorstop by the latest forced downgrade that will either take their privacy and right to their own data away from them completely, or make a very fine doorstop when the graphics drivers and other hardware they 'assume' will be fine brick the machine until you reinstall the OS.

They're making people's data inaccessible and while some can temporarily roll back to 7, most cannot.

For the most part, I would just turn off the updates and only grab what you need manually as KB packages directly or from 3rd party vendors to where you can install them without having to turn updates back on again. It's not as good as completely removing the WAT of a Windows system, but it will help a lot if you ever need something but want to keep Microsoft as far away from your computer and its settings as possible.

IBMPC8088, Mar 31, 2016
    UpgradeMe likes this.
  10. Sefie

UpgradeMe

Yeah, when I said I had been dodging them like bullets, I meant I had updates turned off and have only been picking them out selectively. I have been planning the transition to linux exclusively for a while now, but this is just kind of the nail in the coffin. I understand they are dated models, but there is a reason people weren't upgrading in the first place...it's such a nuisance

UpgradeMe, Mar 31, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  11. Sefie

SirJoe

It does seem like it, I upgraded to windows 10 and at first I was not to happy that I did. There would be these random problems that would appear, but having used it for a while I actually happy I did. The routine updates have solved the problems I used to have and now it's working quit well.

SirJoe, Apr 1, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  12. Sefie

artyarson

Nope, I've never seen any notifications asking for an urgent upgrade. This just doesn't happen to me and I'm kinda happy about that, really.

artyarson, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  13. Sefie

jamesbonner

I never got that notification ! is it about just windows 8 users ? I use windows 7 and they never asked me to update to windows 8 or windows 10 !

jamesbonner, Apr 3, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  14. Sefie

fcuco

I love how casually you drop that line, imagine a corporate environment that depends on a particular applications that are only certified to run on Windows 7 or any other particular OS, imagine the chaos and disruption when all computers are updated forcefully. This can't possibly be right and the decision to upgrade or not must rest solely on the final user. I don't care if they need to put Windows 10 on every machine on Earth for their company to be profitable, I am not going to upgrade my work Windows 7 machine, I liked Windows 10 at first but not I find it bloated and filled with nonsense. For instance, I don't want to see news and other miscellaneous stuff when I click the Start button, I don't want the OS to be integrated with anything, I simply need a computer to do work. If they actually go ahead and force everybody I smell some kind of class action lawsuit coming.

fcuco, Apr 8, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  15. Sefie

fcuco

Windows 7 users too, even if your copy is pirated as far as I remember, they say the Windows has to be genuine but how knows?, I updated 3 machines from Windows 7 to Windows 10 already, basically all my machines except for my main work one that's going to run Windows 7 until the sun explodes. I think that the only Windows 7 excluded from this is Windows 7 Enterprise.

I don't see why you are not being pestered by the update message because it is getting more and more intrusive and annoying, consider yourself lucky, but if you DO want to upgrade you first have to turn the windows update on, download and install all available upgrades then go the the microsoft site, go to the "Get Windows 10" option and follow the instructions there. You will only be able to upgrade if your current Windows is up to date so if you are unable to install the upgrades maybe you should consider reinstalling you Windows 7 first from scratch and then do the update. I had to this for my girlfriend's laptop as the Windows 8 updates were broken and failing.

fcuco, Apr 8, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  16. Sefie

obliviousme

I think they are definitely pushing Windows 10 to the users, i have the impression that they are trying to eliminate previous OS and make windows 10 as their standard OS. I've upgraded to Win 10 and i have no problem with it so far.

obliviousme, May 1, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  17. Sefie

IBMPC8088

IBMPC8088, May 2, 2016
  18. Sefie

Novelangel

You are very right about the download happening all by itself. I turned my computer on one day and found it beginning the download already. This was after I had determinedly dodged the upgrade for several months. It picked a date all by itself and started the process. I could have stopped it, but I was curious as to what 10 would be like. I was shocked by the huge difference from Win 7. I too dislike having all that nonsense right there in the start window and it took me a while to once again locate all of the things I regularly use, but it was all there... more or less. My spider solitaire game disappeared and now can only be found in a special solitaire file at the start menu, and it prefers that you have a Windows Live account, thank you very much... but I resist that urge as well. I like Win 10 for at least one reason, -- it makes my computer run better. It no longer crashes whenever more than two or three pages are open at once. However, I strongly dislike the fact that I can no longer use Internet Explorer for web surfing. Windows 10 apparently hates I.E. and every site I go to using I.E. looks glitchy. I have to use either Firefox or Chrome to get to sites I want to see. Another thing... Does anyone know if Windows 10 automatically checks for viruses and malware? There doesn't appear to be any way for me to check manually anymore.

Novelangel, May 4, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  19. Sefie

sparkster

I've been using Windows 10 for about two months now and don't have any problems with it whatsoever, no compatibility issues, nothing. Everything has been working fine, it's fast, it's convenient, it's much more up to date and seems stable. I'm pretty satisfied with it so far and still have plenty of things to check out, I haven't really explored it all properly yet. As for the claims about Windows 10 spying on users, you can customize your settings if you're concerned, such as GPS, sync, updates, location, etc although most of these are switched on by default. That's something you might want to consider if using mobile data. It doesn't surprise me that Microsoft would be trying to push Windows 10 onto users given the fact that it's been designed to cater for mobiles, tablets, desktops, laptops, etc and is integrated with X-Box Live. It's pretty much a way of integrating everything and therefore I can see it becoming the new main platform for all Microsoft products.

sparkster, May 16, 2016
  20. Sefie

sharatharadhya

It is wise to get Windows 10 installed on an eligible PC for free. Microsoft has confirmed that free Upgrade to Windows 10 will end and every Upgrade per PC will be charged $119 for Windows 10 and $199 for Windows 10 Pro. I had upgraded my PC to Windows 10 last July and I have never encountered any issues once the Driver Updates Landed for my PC. Check with your Motherboard manufacturer for Windows 10 Support and if they do support Windows 10 then it is wise to Upgrade to Windows 10. In case you run into a problem you can always roll back and your PC would still be upgradeable to Windows 10. Good Luck

sharatharadhya, May 17, 2016
Ask a Question