Is LEAP supported now?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cyberbull, Jun 9, 2009.

1. cyberbull

cyberbull

I have a Aspire One model D150-1189. The wireless is working fine with my home wireless. But in my company, they use Cisco LEAP as authentication method and CKIP as encryption. I have tried to download the driver from Acer web site but it seems to be LEAP unavailable.

Has anyone make LEAP and CKIP work on your Aspire One successfully?

Thanks.

cyberbull, Jun 9, 2009
  2. cyberbull

DutchDK

Since you didn't say whether you are using a Windows AA1 or a Linpus Linux AA1, I'm assuming (hopefully without making an ass out of u and me ;)) that you are using a Windows XP AA1.

On Windows I am using the latest Atheros client utility and driver, which gives me the possibility of the following forms of authentications both in WPA/WPA2 Enterprise mode and in plain old 802.1x mode:
    EAP-TLS
    EAP-TTLS
    PEAP (EAP-GTC)
    PEAP (EAP-MSCHAP V2)
    LEAP
    EAP-FAST
    EAP-SIM
    and Host-based EAP

My Atheros Client Utility is version 7.0.2.49 and the Atheros driver version is 7.7.0.259

DutchDK, Jun 9, 2009
  3. cyberbull

cyberbull

Many thanks DutchDK.

Could you tell me where I can download the Atheros Utility and Driver please?

And the wirelecc chip in my Aspire One is Broadcom, can I use the Atheros driver?

Thanks.

cyberbull, Jun 10, 2009
  4. cyberbull

DutchDK

You can't use the Atheros driver and client utility with a Broadcom based WiFi card.

With the Broadcom driver you are by default only able to use PEAP for 802.1x authentication, unless you install a Windows Zero Config compatible LEAP capable supplicant.
    Your companys IT department should be able to provide that. Be aware though, that in most companies where RADIUS 802.1x authentication is deployed, it is an termination of employment offence to use non-company issued IT equipment on the LAN. So approach the IT dept, and explain the issues for them, and check that it is OK for you to use your own netbook on the company network. Preferably get it in writing - In other words : C.Y.A. and stay safe ;)

DutchDK, Jun 10, 2009
Ask a Question