Is it worth it to spend more money

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by DaniDavidson, Apr 18, 2016.

1. DaniDavidson

DaniDavidson

Do you think that it's worth it to spend more money when you're buying a laptop? I know that a lot of people would rather go with a cheaper one that will last them a couple of years, but I personally think that it's a waste of money. And it was something that I had to try and figure out when I was buying my new laptop this summer. I figured that I was spend more money on the Mac that I wanted because I knew that it was a reliable laptop that I wouldn't have worry about getting spyware or anything like that, but that I also won't have to replace it for a long time. So, I feel like I'm saving more money in the end. What do you think?

DaniDavidson, Apr 18, 2016
  2. DaniDavidson

Corzhens

We are in the process of selection for a laptop which my husband needs. I am thinking of getting a cheap laptop and expect only 2 years of service. The other option is to buy a good one (more expensive) and expect 5 years of service. I think the first option is safer when it comes to money since the second option is a gamble for the laptop to last 5 years with good service. However, my husband wanted a quality laptop for video editing so maybe we have to allocate a bigger budget. Now I am thinking if it is really worth the money to invest in a good laptop which will be obsolete after 2 years.

Corzhens, Apr 20, 2016
  3. DaniDavidson

FenWoFon

I personally would buy the best one for my needs, for example, I would rather save a lot of money to buy a Gaming laptop instead of buying the cheapest one that will only work to use chrome, however if all you're looking for is a laptop where yo ucan do your basic stuff then go ahead and buy a normal one, that is my opinion though.

FenWoFon, Apr 20, 2016
  4. DaniDavidson

IcyBC

I share your same thoughts and feelings when it come to buy a new laptop. It is a dilemma for sure. Half of my family members swear on Mac, and after my two HP hit the bin, they decided to get me a MacBook, for same reasons you've stated.

If I am to buy a new laptop now, I would go for something within my pocket and use that laptop until it dies. I won't worry about how long it will last anymore since they don't make things to last now!

IcyBC, Apr 20, 2016
  5. DaniDavidson

spence88

I think only you can have an appropriate answer for that question. Why? Because I think it depends on your budget, or how much money you have. There is always a line where the price is so high that it's not practical to buy anymore. However, that line is variable and is different for every person. So the question is, where do you draw your line? Only you can answer the question. :)

However, to answer your question in general terms, getting a Macbook is definitely cost inefficient compared to getting a Windows based laptop. But then again, where is your line? :)

Sorry if I'm not making sense here, I didn't have enough sleep for the past few days. :(

spence88, Apr 21, 2016
  6. DaniDavidson

sharatharadhya

The best advice I can give you is that you should buy a Laptop which will get all your work done without any issues. If a low-end Laptop can do that for you, well and good, go for a low-end Laptop. If your workload demands a more powerful Laptop get a more powerful Laptop. It is as simple as that. I support your view that getting a good Laptop is good for the long run and more Economic over replacing your Laptop frequently. Also, I don't believe in the fact that Macintosh is completely spyware free. Macintosh is better than Windows if you are completely Work Oriented. It is a lot more reliable and it is great Ecosystem for Work. Good Luck.

sharatharadhya, Apr 21, 2016
    Karen Gordon likes this.
  7. DaniDavidson

IBMPC8088

There is no difference in whether or not you can protect yourself from spyware by overpriced or underpriced hardware. You'll have a difference in calculation and opcode speed and performance overall, maybe some extra features or higher quality casing since they deliberately make things that cost less cheaper now unlike before, but that's where the differences will end - the hardware. The software can run universally on any system of the same type you buy, and can be emulated on all the rest even when not.

If you're into marketing and paying more than you should or need to pay more to have more durable hardware, then that will be the pricing point of consideration. The software itself is not going to run any differently, and won't protect you any more or any less than if it ran on a system with pricey hardware.

I would go with Linux for security and safety, but you'll probably want to go with Windows if you are completely work oriented. Going with a Macintosh is if you want overpriced hardware that does nothing for you except lock you in to a fad while "feeling" like you're getting or doing more when you're not. If you're interested in getting a fashion statement out of it more than a computer system, then that's what a Mac is for. If you're interested in a PC for productivity, get Windows or Linux. The physical machine is what you'll be paying for most of all in the price difference, which in some cases can be upgraded. One important change to the hardware quality lately is that they're forcing new designs that build everything in to a laptop unit that doesn't let the user upgrade battery or other parts like they used to easily (you can still tear it apart and put it back together with a new upgrade, but most people won't want to do that and it's a hassle for a lot of users or to do things quickly). So that is an important consideration for the price of the hardware. If I were in your shoes, I'd just choose the system that is the easiest to upgrade and the most durable, since the software can all be tailored to what you need now or later.

IBMPC8088, Apr 21, 2016
  8. DaniDavidson

OursIsTheFury

I think so. When it comes to computers, I spend as much money as needed, because at the end of the day those expensive ones have great warranty, which means repairs won't come out of my pocket. They also don't have hidden issues you have to worry about. They function as advertised. When buying, I believe the prices are justified for their quality and function, as you won't even have to maintain them as often. That's just my two cents though. I believe when it comes to computers, you shouldn't be cheap, and you will get rewarded for it.

OursIsTheFury, Apr 23, 2016
  9. DaniDavidson

fcuco

It really depends on the type of work that you are going to be doing on said laptop. If all you are going to do is mostly web browsing and the occasional word processing a high end laptop is simply overkill. If you are going to do video editing or gaming then a low end laptop will make you suffer. Another thing that's worth mentioning is screen size because you can save a little if you go for the smaller form factors, specially if you want your laptop to be portable. I say a little because the difference between the 11 and 13 inch MacBook Air is only 100$. If you are going to go Mac go for the MacBook Air or Pro, don't go for the regular MacBook because that's way too overpriced for less powerful specs.

fcuco, Apr 23, 2016
  10. DaniDavidson

BlueText

Personally, I think it's cheaper in the long run is to buy a good computer that lasts you three or four years than to buy a cheap laptop I got a MacBook Pro with a protection plan and despite how much my mom moaned about how expensive it was. And I bought it with my own money as she watched in horror. I spent less than the three laptops and two tablets she's gone through in the same amount of time. I just don't enjoy shopping for laptops enough to want to spend the time and money getting a new one after the repair guy just tells me the motherboard is dead or something. I think if I was more savvy with fixing my own computer I could get away with having a cheap computer but I just don't have the time to mess with a computer that acts up all the time.

BlueText, Sep 10, 2016
  11. DaniDavidson

Karen Gordon

I think it is the most important to read over the specifications of the laptop and whether or not it will meet your requirements before you buy. It is just one of the most important things to do prior to purchase. I have a fairly cheap laptop but it has been decent for the past couple of years and I use it alot too. I have a backup but this is my main one. Fortunately, laptops are a lot more affordable now, than they used to be.

Karen Gordon, Sep 10, 2016
  12. DaniDavidson

abonnen

I personally am very hard on laptops becasue I work on mine about 12-14 hours a day and I tend to get cheap ones because I have had expensive ones and cheap ones and for me they have lasted about the same amount of time. So I think it depend on what you are using the laptop for and how much you use the device I think.

abonnen, Sep 11, 2016
  13. DaniDavidson

janemariesayed

with new updates happening all the time and new models coming on the market, it is so difficult to keep up with the newest available make. I think this makes it expensive to buy the latest model so you end up with what was new out last year. I prefer to buy a laptop that will suffice for my needs and download as many updates as possible without having to purchase a new one every year. So when buying a first laptop, I think it is best to buy as much as you can afford as you want it to last for a number of years.

janemariesayed, Sep 11, 2016
  14. DaniDavidson

SirJoe

I don't think that anyone buys cheap computers because they want too, what is the deciding factor most of the time is the persons budget. There is no doubt that a high end computer will last a long time but if your budget doesn't allow for it there is not much you can do.

SirJoe, Sep 13, 2016
  15. DaniDavidson

Humphrey247

You should factor in what kind of work you're going to be doing. I'll use myself as an example. I'm a gamer and I'm partial to big budget AAA titles. So I'll first make a list of all the laptops that have the specifications I'm looking for. After that, I'll remove all those that are outside my budget. Then I just look up reviews on the performance performance of each machine or ask around on forums and finally pick one to purchase. This is what I did for my last one anyway.

Humphrey247, Sep 13, 2016
  16. DaniDavidson

remnant

I believe in the adage that states that cheap might be expensive. I would rather spend more money on a quality product than buy an inferior one only for it to become more expensive in the long run due to the need for replaceament. To this end, a person need not strain their budget but save incrementally to achieve this goal.

remnant, Sep 28, 2016
Ask a Question