Is it possible to install software from source?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lusiads, Sep 1, 2008.

1. lusiads

lusiads

Hi all,

I'm very interesting in Acer Aspire One with Linux pre-installed.
    But I found not much information about Linpus Linux Lite.

Since I have to input Vietnamese character (which is done through latest SCIM stable version, 1.5.x), I want to know if I can compile and install SCIM from source.
    Is this possible? Or does i easily install rpm package?

This is very important because i primarily works in Vietnamese so it's a critical thing to me.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Hope you all have a nice day,

lusiads, Sep 1, 2008
  2. lusiads

yodersj

The Linpus that came on my AA1 appears to have SCIM v1.4.7 already installed. It looks like they made an rpm package for it, so it might be possible that a newer version would be available from the updates (now or in the future). I do not have a need for it, so I cannot comment on Vietnamese character support. However, if Acer does not provide an update, and you do need the newer version, you should be able to compile it (but you might need to install some additional packages to make this possible).

yodersj, Sep 1, 2008
  3. lusiads

lusiads

Actually, Vietnamese IM support comes with package m17n-db 1.5.x (SCIM 1.47 is okay, i'm sorry it was a mistake at my previous post)

I've just found a rpm for Fedora 10 at http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... h.rpm.html
    So, may I use this compiled rpm for installing m17n-db?

It's nice to know I can compile app from source.
    Can you telll me which repository Linpus Lite use? I want to check out the lastest m17n-db package from there in case i can not install Fedora rpm.

Thank you very much, yodersj.

lusiads, Sep 1, 2008
  4. lusiads

yodersj

You want to look for packages for Fedora 8, which is what Linpus is based off of. For example:
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... h.rpm.html

The standard Fedora repository config files are included, and I believe Livna or you can set it up easily. So this looks like a package you should be able to install via 'yum' (from a terminal after 'su -'). However, be careful of conflicts between the Linpus customized packages and the standard F8 packages.

yodersj, Sep 1, 2008
  5. lusiads

lusiads

How does I know whether package is customized or not? Could you give me a kind of list if any?
    And what should I deal with them if I want to update to later version as needed? It is possible although being not supported by Acer, right?

With factory pre-installed repository, i will do as following:
    su -
    yum list|grep -i m17n-db
    yum install m17n-db
    #yum update m17n-db

:)
    yodersj, wish you have a nice time.

lusiads, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question