Is it ok to use your laptop while its charging?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by FrancisRude, Jan 20, 2009.

1. FrancisRude

Aree Wongwanlee

I use my laptop with the charging cable plugged in all the time. I have tried unplugging it when the battery is full. I use a small battery meter utility to tell me when the battery is full. After trying it for a few days, I went back to using my laptop plugged it all the time. I am not expecting my laptop to last for many years. Just a couple of years would be fine. In a couple of years, there will be many new models with much better specs.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 28, 2016
  2. FrancisRude

Elektron

So you would rather make your laptop last shorter than normal just to buy a newer one because yours will get old? Wow, you like spending money.

Elektron, Oct 2, 2016
  3. FrancisRude

Aree Wongwanlee

No, I don't like spending money, unnecessarily. That's what happens when I pay extra money for a laptop which will last for a long time. I wouldn't mind a laptop which can last only three years if I can pay less for it.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 5, 2016
  4. FrancisRude

Elektron

Well, that's a really understandable point, indeed. However, I wouldn't do that even if my PC lasts 3 years, I'd still have to fix it rix away or replace the broken parts, money is something I lack on nowadays and that would be a big waste.

Elektron, Oct 5, 2016
  5. FrancisRude

Aree Wongwanlee

That depends on what is broken. I am quite good at extending the working life of my laptop. When the keyboard was broken, I attached an external keyboard. When the display was broken, I attached an external monitor. I do that because those external components can be re-used when I get a new laptop.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 6, 2016
  6. FrancisRude

Elektron

Well, you're telling me that you avoid spending money by spending money, well, it doesn't really make too much sense, but it does work anyway.

Elektron, Oct 9, 2016
  7. FrancisRude

Aree Wongwanlee

There's a difference between repairing parts which cannot be re-used when you finally have to ditch the laptop, and adding external components which can be re-used when you get a new laptop. All external components like the keyboard, mouse, and monitor can be re-used. Internal parts like the motherboard cannot be re-used. Even the RAM is likely to be unreusable because the new laptop is likely to use another model of RAM.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 10, 2016
Ask a Question