Is it ok to use your laptop while its charging?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by FrancisRude, Jan 20, 2009.

1. FrancisRude

nytegeek

No. you are not correct. Laptop batteries, at least in modern computers, do not overcharge. You are also wrong about the amount charges. It is a often a range of 500 to 1,000 full discharge and charge cycles with the amount depending on the manufacturer and the battery. If you don't completely discharge the battery you can't really count it as a full cycle charge against the total. In addition to a limited number of full charge cycles (with the battery completely depleted first) lithium batteries for any device generally have a shelf life of 5 years from the date of manufacture

nytegeek, Apr 11, 2016
  2. FrancisRude

FenWoFon

I basically do not use it while it is charging because I have heard the battery overheats and it could get worse, however I have done it acouple of time because I have had to do so, I do notreally know if it is true but yet I do it.

FenWoFon, Apr 18, 2016
  3. FrancisRude

SirJoe

I certainly hope so, I do that all the time. I do have my battery at 59% worth of charge because my energy management system keeps it there. It seems to extend battery life. Whenever I know that I am going some where that doesn't have a socket I will charge it completely.

SirJoe, Apr 20, 2016
  4. FrancisRude

nytegeek

It isn't true. Any device that utilizes a lithium battery, with very few exceptions, will stop charging at 100%. You can't overcharge them. The battery would only overheat in the case of a hardware defect in the charger or the device.

nytegeek, Apr 20, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  5. FrancisRude

obliviousme

Yes, it's totally fine. I've been using mine this way for as long as i can remember and i have no problems. I try to unhook my laptop from the charger as soon as the battery hits 100% though.

obliviousme, May 8, 2016
  6. FrancisRude

nytegeek

There is no need to unhook the charger at 100% with most laptops, tablets, or phones. They don't overcharge and it won't impact battery life.

nytegeek, May 8, 2016
  7. FrancisRude

Novelangel

Since my laptop is so old, (2008) I always use it while plugged in, because the battery drains very quickly. If it gets too low the machine will begin to act a little odd, producing weird colors and stuff that shouldn't be there. It's only a minor inconvenience when traveling, as I simply have to make sure I've packed everything I need before I go.

Novelangel, May 8, 2016
  8. FrancisRude

rz3300

Well I really really hope so, and if not I have been doing things wrong for about fifteen years now. I do not see why not, and if it is the case that we are not supposed to, I would have liked to hear this from somebody (preferably somebody important) a long long time ago, and that certainly did not happen. Fingers crossed I guess.

rz3300, Sep 15, 2016
  9. FrancisRude

something back

I don't come under the title of “somebody important”

Most batteries have a circuit that stops over charging or software that
    controls charging rates.

PART RELATED samsung are going to issue a software patch to help
    their new phones from burning.

As far as I know if you don't use the battery often then charging it
    to approx 85% then removing it is supposed give the battery a longer
    life.

Using it while it is plugged in should be no problem

something back, Sep 15, 2016
  10. FrancisRude

SirJoe

I don't think it should be a problem, if it was I would have already ruined quit a few laptops. If you have your laptop always conected to the mains I do recommend adjusting your power settings.

SirJoe, Sep 15, 2016
  11. FrancisRude

HappyKoi

I'm going to have to agree with the majority of people and say that I've done this for quite some time and never had any problems whatsoever. I use a different power setting when my laptop is unplugged to conserve energy, but most of the time it's plugged in. I've never heard of a laptop battery having "overcharging" issues, but then I don't know everything and I tend to come from the desktop user generation where your computer was always plugged in.

HappyKoi, Sep 16, 2016
  12. FrancisRude

remnant

Actually using your battery while charging increases the efficiency of power processing on the part of the battery. Caution should however be taken not to use the battery this way for a prolonged period of time or in power saving mode and you should adjust your power settings accordingly. Before removing the battery, make sure that it charges up to 80%. Switch off the power supply before removing the battery.

remnant, Sep 18, 2016
  13. FrancisRude

abonnen

I use my laptop when charging sometimes but I find that of course it charges faster when I don't I have a chromebook so it charges very fast! I don't keep it plugged in all the time though and only plug it in when the battery is dead or almost dead. But I do have another old chromebook that is always full charged just in case.

abonnen, Sep 18, 2016
  14. FrancisRude

AngelicDevilTel

Its fine to do yes
    I do it quite a bit
    If you use it while the battery is out you are good but if you use it while the battery is in (and its still on the charger) you may want to condition your battery every now and then.

AngelicDevilTel, Sep 24, 2016
  15. FrancisRude

djtech

Lol... unless you have a Samsung laptop! All jokes aside, as everyone has said already, its absolutely safe to use. But, I wouldn't overcharge the laptop as the battery life goes down significantly if you overcharge on a regular basis.

djtech, Sep 25, 2016
  16. FrancisRude

hades_leae

When I use my laptop, it is on the charger for several hours, I think I have used it for more than 8 hours straight on the charger. It's never a problem now the charger does get warm, but I never had a problem with it.

Recently I have been thinking that it is starting to short because I have to move it around sometimes because it will randomly stop charging, but I have been having the same one for almost 3 years.

hades_leae, Sep 25, 2016
  17. FrancisRude

rz3300

I have just given up listening to anything on the subject, and I have officially assumed that it is okay. One day I will hear one thing, and then the next I will hear the opposite, and both sides seem to have the same amount of support, so that is just what it is for me.

rz3300, Sep 25, 2016
  18. FrancisRude

Karen Gordon

I keep mine on the charger all the time, but that is just because it has no battery at this point. If it was not on the charger, I wouldn't be able to use it. I have not had an issue with overheating, but when I get another battery I m not going to keep it on the charger all the time. It just isn't goo dfor battery life I think.

Karen Gordon, Sep 26, 2016
  19. FrancisRude

Fuzyon

Of course, games would be unplayable without my laptop plugged in so there's virtually no problem. Your laptop may get really hot though, it's always a good idea to plug it off from time to time, especially if your battery is full.

Fuzyon, Sep 28, 2016
  20. FrancisRude

Elektron

Of course you can use it, but it's not the best thing to do since you're somehow enlarging the whole charging process and your battery would be suffering a lot with the charges transmition and that sort of thing. If you don't want your battery to overheat or die soon, then stop doing it and give it time so it can charge properly.

Elektron, Sep 28, 2016
Ask a Question