Is it ok to use your laptop while its charging?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by FrancisRude, Jan 20, 2009.

1. FrancisRude

FrancisRude

Anyone knows? I need some tips to maximize battery life/longevity. Thanks

FrancisRude, Jan 20, 2009
  2. FrancisRude

ronaldf

Yes, you can use the AAO while it is charging. To prolong battery life, run the computer on AC power with the battery removed whenever possible. The user manual that is on the hard drive discusses prolonging battery life (page 15).

ronaldf, Jan 20, 2009
  3. FrancisRude

karona

I use mine plugged in to the AC most of the time. I would never consider operating on AC with the battery removed, as any power outage would crash the machine, possibly during a data-write to the hd/ssd, which would brick it immediately.

Keith

karona, Jan 20, 2009
  4. FrancisRude

dattaway

You would always run a UPS supply with the battery. A laptop should be no different.

dattaway, Jan 20, 2009
  5. FrancisRude

IBMPC8088

Yes, it's fine to use while charging. Most laptops since 2006 have a switch in the circuit for the battery charger that toggles it to AC once the battery is full. If you use your laptop with or without the battery, that circuit detects the presence of your battery and charges through it. You have 110 to 120V (or 220 to 240V if in Europe) coming out of a wall socket, and your laptop only needs between 19v to 24v to run. Anything more than it needs is "stepped down" by the potentiometer in the power pack for the laptop to the exact voltage and amperage needed to power it. So when it needs more, it holds the excess and charges the battery. If not, then it just uses what it needs and discards or doesn't pull anything extra.

The old batteries and laptops without this circuit used to overcharge and reduce battery life (or in some cases like a few Dell laptops back in 2005, they can catch fire if something goes wrong). That's no longer a problem anymore and you don't have to worry about using it on the charger. The only time something like that could possibly happen now is when there is a capacitor on the mobo that goes ballastic on you which is rarer than getting struck by lightning, so no worries. ;)

IBMPC8088, Feb 1, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  6. FrancisRude

IcyBC

I wish my Macbook has this option to remove the battery and just use the plug in instead. To get my battery to last longer, I turn off all the Adobe flash as it seemed to suck out my battery too fast.

IcyBC, Feb 2, 2016
  7. FrancisRude

djtech

Yes its okay to charge the laptop AND use it at the same time. However, I would be careful not to overcharge it once the battery is completely charged.

djtech, Feb 2, 2016
  8. FrancisRude

vinaya

As far as I know it is ok to use laptop while it is in charging mode. However, the adapter should be immediately removed after the battery is full. Overcharging can damage your laptop battery.

vinaya, Feb 2, 2016
  9. FrancisRude

sharatharadhya

You can even use your Laptop with your battery removed and even that wouldn't harm your computer. I used to do this all the time a while ago when my Laptop was my only computer and I was concerned I would fry my Battery. One thing to pay attention to is to make sure you have a Good wiring connection so that you don't get shocked. No just Kidding.

sharatharadhya, Feb 4, 2016
  10. FrancisRude

something back

There is some benefits to running a laptop on battery only without the power cord
    being plugged in.

It would save you if a power surge occurred.

Plugged in it's advisable to obtain a surge protector to protect your machine.

something back, Feb 4, 2016
  11. FrancisRude

sharatharadhya

I agree. But I have an emergency power facility which can run most of the electronics at my home. It is harmful to run a Laptop without the battery. But if you use your Laptop as your daily Driver and you are concerned that the battery might wear off. It is the best choice you have.

sharatharadhya, Feb 4, 2016
  12. FrancisRude

ACSAPA

This is good to know because my daughter always has her laptop on while charging it. As a desktop user, I'm not that savvy about laptops so I always worried that she was frying her battery by constantly using it during charging. Thanks for the info.

ACSAPA, Feb 4, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  13. FrancisRude

Jonah_JJ

I like to fully charge my laptop and, if I know I'm going to be home all day and not in a situation where I can't plug in, I then unplug till I'm completely discharged. Then I plug back in again - but only when I get the message to do so. The act of fully charging and then fully draining the battery has always made my batteries work optimally for me.

Jonah_JJ, Mar 22, 2016
  14. FrancisRude

hafiz93

Yes, you can use your laptop while charging but it's best to unplug it when it's fully charged. If you always keep on charging it even though it's already full, there's a chance that you might damage the battery. Personally I love to use my laptop plugged in without battery. This way I don't have to worry about the battery life, but the downside is that if there's a blackout then my laptop shuts down too.

hafiz93, Mar 22, 2016
  15. FrancisRude

Fermin420

Yes its fine, I had the same question a while ago, probably because of the apparent similarity with smartphones people think its a bad thing to do, but actually its ok

Fermin420, Mar 22, 2016
  16. FrancisRude

spence88

Given that the OP was 7 years ago, the answer could have been different from today. Today, the answer is it's ok if you're using lithium batteries. Actually it doesn't matter when you charge it. Charging it before it gets empty or charging it at 95% capacity doesn't make any difference. This "overcharging your battery is bad" is actually a famous myth that has been debunked for quite a while now. IBMPC8088's post is the perfect technical explanation.

tl;dr Most electronic devices today that use lithium batteries should have charging circuits which will just generate enough power your device and battery need and discards any power to the battery when the battery reaches 100% capacity.

Yes, it's a good thing that they developed / incorporated a charging circuit for lithium batteries not only with laptops, but with other electronic devices like smartphones.

(Edited- missed important details)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    spence88, Apr 6, 2016
  17. FrancisRude

Corzhens

My laptop is more than 2 years with me and I normally do that - using it while charging - whenever I could see an electrical socket. That is one way of assuring that my battery is full so when I use it in places with no electrical socket then I can use it for a long time. The draining of the battery is only required for the first time, the battery should be in full charge and then full drain also. The succeeding charging need not be drained anymore.

Corzhens, Apr 6, 2016
  18. FrancisRude

vinaya

Over charging can damage your laptop, however, if you are using your laptop continuously for many hours, you need to plug in and plug out many times. However you do to increase your laptop's battery life, it only has 1000 times charging life. If you charge your laptop every day, your laptop battery will give backup only for three years, if you charge twice a day you can use your laptop battery only for one and half year.

vinaya, Apr 6, 2016
  19. FrancisRude

UCFKnightSteve

My experience is much like Corzhens. I always have it plugged in while using so that should there be a power outage, I have a full battery to get me until the power is restored. I did the recommended full charge and drain when I first got it, but after that have always kept it plugged in without any negative affect on the battery life.

UCFKnightSteve, Apr 8, 2016
  20. FrancisRude

tackykardia

Yes, I use mine all the time while it's charging. I keep it plugged in most of the time, but not always. It gives me a brighter screen when it's plugged in since I have it set that way.

tackykardia, Apr 10, 2016
Ask a Question