Is Google Chrome laptop same as a regular laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by pandandesign, Feb 3, 2014.

1. pandandesign

XeNoNF50

Just my personal preference but I would definitely just go for a windows laptop. Because of the OS it is much more compatible for other functions and programs than a chromebook would be.

XeNoNF50, Apr 13, 2014
  2. pandandesign

deancollick

What laptop manufacturer creates Chrome Laptop?

deancollick, May 18, 2014
  3. pandandesign

Charles Franklin

I know Acer does because it's the one that manufactured my Chromebook. HP and Samsung also make them.

I'm going back to Windows OS as soon as I can, though.It's great for Internet browsing, but it can do heavy-duty stuff that I need as a part-time freelancing like Skype, Microsoft Office, etc.

Charles Franklin, May 18, 2014
  4. pandandesign

zafeer2025

It's a Netbook, so all of its performance and features are primarily web-based. All files are stored on the web and all programs are hosted from the web. It's cloud computing. It won't be of much use to you if you're ever not connected to the internet. It's pretty cool when you are, though.

zafeer2025, Jun 5, 2014
  5. pandandesign

Brian8gbSSDLinux

@Zafeer,
    AFAIK - Google has given in to user demand and files can now be stored ON the chromebook allowing work to be carried out off line...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jun 6, 2014
  6. pandandesign

keirakedgel

Yes, it's the same but expect to see all google stuff preinstalled. LOL

keirakedgel, Jun 16, 2014
    Charles Franklin likes this.
  7. pandandesign

Rohan99

The Google Chrome book has Google Chrome operating system and is therefore not compatible with Windows software. The Chrome book does look good for its price but you should only get it if you are okay with using a non-Windows or Mac operating system. I only see people using the Chrome book for internet connectivity and multimedia such as videos and music.

Rohan99, Jul 1, 2014
    Charles Franklin likes this.
  8. pandandesign

Charles Franklin

I agree with your quote. When I got the Chromebook, I did not intend for it to be a permanent replacement for my now defunct Acer laptop. I needed something cheap to get me online. The Chromebook is a fast computer that does everything I need it to except download MOBI files, executable programs, etc.

For now, it's OK, but I'll be getting another laptop later.

Charles Franklin, Jul 2, 2014
  9. pandandesign

Jake Blazsek

Chrome OS is just the Chrome Browser in an OS. You can run any chrome app in windows using Chrome but you can't run windows desktop apps in Chrome. They cheap because they don't need many resources since the apps leave a small local footprint.

Jake Blazsek, Apr 23, 2015
  10. pandandesign

superbobby

I agree. It is basically useless when there is no WiFi.

superbobby, Jun 2, 2015
  11. pandandesign

rz3300

They are not, but at the same time you can basically do everything that you need on one, at least that is my experience. I have not looked back after getting mine, and for about 300 dollars it does all that I need it to. If you are looking for gaming or anything like that though, you might want to look elsewhere.

rz3300, Oct 9, 2016
  12. pandandesign

vinaya

Do you mean to say I cannot use Windows Office on Google Chrome laptop? If this is a case, Google chrome can never be a subtitute of Windows laptop.

vinaya, Oct 10, 2016
  13. pandandesign

Aree Wongwanlee

It depends on how you use your laptop. If, like me, you use it mainly to work online via your browser, then the Chrome laptop would be fine. It's basically a gateway to the Web. Everything you do with a Chrome laptop is supposed to be done on the Web. You use applications which are not installed on your laptop. Rather you use the online equivalents.

So what happens when you are off-line? Well, the main point is that, like me, you are always online. When I am using my laptop, I am always online. There's hardly anything which I do with my laptop that's offline.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 10, 2016
  14. pandandesign

Fuzyon

You're pretty limited as in you can only download applications from the Play Store and the performance is not the best. It's a good laptop for school, you can browse the internet and take notes on it coupled with its light weight and battery life makes it perfect.

Fuzyon, Oct 10, 2016
  15. pandandesign

Aree Wongwanlee

The big question is what kind of applications do you need. Most people just need a few applications to get their work done. These applications are all available from the Google Play Store. So for most people, a Chromebook would serve their needs very well.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 14, 2016
Ask a Question