Is a new Aspire One being released pre-Xmas?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by andymaxwell, Oct 14, 2008.

1. andymaxwell

andymaxwell

I am unsure whether to buy now or wait a few weeks. Is Acer releasing a new One in the UK for the Christmas market?
    I would love a Linux 1GB 160GB version!

andymaxwell, Oct 14, 2008
  2. andymaxwell

scottro

From what others have said, the price difference in the UK was far greater than here in the US. (The difference between the 8 GB SSD Linux and 120 GB WinXP was around $30-$40 USD here.)

If that's going to be the case, you should probably wait. However, I just bought the XP version, (of the 160 GB, 6 cell battery) wiped XP off it and put Fedora on it. If you're relatively familiar with Linux, it's not overly difficult. (Although, for what it's worth, I did have trouble trying to get a DVD on a USB drive--in the end, I just put on the F10 livecd and installed using that. I suspect this is because I wasn't expecting issues, having used CDs with USB drives for awhile, and should have googled a bit more, but it wasn't really worth the trouble for me.)

scottro, Oct 14, 2008
  3. andymaxwell

andymaxwell

Yeah, it's nearly $100 different here!

Would it be possible to install Linpus Lite straight onto the XP laptop and have it work straight off (or can I buy the linux reinstall CD separately?)?

andymaxwell, Oct 14, 2008
  4. andymaxwell

spyderms

Hopefully you're not paying for any distros of Linux. Most are free, with a handful of exceptions that pack a bunch of software in with them. Not sure how you would get a copy of Linpus for the Aspire One though... from what I understand there is no re-install CD, which is odd...

spyderms, Oct 14, 2008
  5. andymaxwell

rjm

There is a CD included with every Linux model. You run the software on your desktop to copy the installation to a USB memory stick, and use the USB memory stick to restore the Aspire One back to the factory default.

I don't know what sort of whitelist the install software uses, if any, that might prevent you installing Linpus on a model that originally came with Windows XP. Chances are it would work fine, if you can borrow someones CD/USB stick ... the CD is not available as a standalone, its only included with the Linux version of the Aspire One.

rjm, Oct 16, 2008
Ask a Question