Is a Macbook for me?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by techilliterate, Mar 19, 2016.

1. techilliterate

techilliterate

I've been struggling with my laptop recently after it upgraded to Windows 10 by itself. My school files are gone and I hate this new system. I'm upset about this upgrade, I didn't ask for it and didn't want it.

Do Macbook upgrade themselves and lose your files? I'm thinking of switching over, but I'm scared I won't know how to use it. Are they easy to use for people who are not good with tech?

techilliterate, Mar 19, 2016
  2. techilliterate

vinaya

If you set your laptop to autmatic update, the software will automatically upgrade. If you set your laptop to never update, your software will never upgrade. If you set your laptop to remind update, it will recommend upgrade. This setting is for PC as well as Mac.

vinaya, Mar 19, 2016
  3. techilliterate

techilliterate

Not so with me: I consistently said no to the windows 10 pop-up, but I woke up to find it installed. I just had Recommended Updates enabled, but they didn't tell me it was going to upgrade my entire system! And now my printer is acting flaky...

techilliterate, Mar 19, 2016
  4. techilliterate

Brijesh Gohil

I recently switched to MacBook Air from my Dell laptop which was running Windows 10. I don't hate windows because Windows 10 created no problems for me. Ya, that's true Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 without notifying users, that happened with my friend as well. But Windows 10 isn't that bad. Now it is much more better operating system than before because it has got lot of cool features which Windows was missing since many years. As far as data loss is concerned, you should always have backup of the important data in cloud or external hard drive...
    Long story short - I love my MacBook and Windows 10 laptop both. You just need to look into your settings. You can ask me if you want any advise on Windows 10 settings :)

Brijesh Gohil, Mar 20, 2016
  5. techilliterate

IcyBC

I was a long time Window user, but my laptop died on me, and my brother gave me the MacBook Air. I switched over for about 9 months now, and it is not that difficult to use. I am not playing game, or coding so for an average user like me, I love it. As for upgrading, I choose not to upgrade to OS X El Capitan since I am used to what I have at the moment.

IcyBC, Mar 20, 2016
  6. techilliterate

techilliterate

More and more, it seems like I'll be switching over to Mac. All my files seem to be gone with no way to recover! I think I would have given Windows 10 a chance if this disaster didn't strike. Now I don't feel like I can trust it.

I'm looking into the macbook air. Seems cheaper than the pro, maybe it'll be a good starting point just to try it out. I'm not a big gamer, either, and I don't know the first thing about coding, so that shouldn't be an issue.

techilliterate, Mar 20, 2016
  7. techilliterate

headset85

As a proponent of the free software movement I would never recommend to buy a Macbook. Why don't you purchase a basic laptop and install a GNU/Linux distro? Installing Debian, gNewSense or Trisquel is a snap. That way you won't spend hundreds and thousands of dollars, it's free!, and your machine's useful life will be extended too.

headset85, Apr 2, 2016
  8. techilliterate

SirJoe

If you haven't installed anything afterwards you can still recover some of the data. If you run a Linux distro you can access your drive and you might still be able to salvage some of the data.

SirJoe, Apr 4, 2016
  9. techilliterate

fcuco

While the automatic without your consent thing is pretty bad and it is making me more and more nervous, operating system upgrades should not delete any of your files, the only thing that could happen is for very old programs that you had installed previous to the update to stop working. so something else, probably something very very wrong is going on with your computer. It appears that everything is gone but if you can still find some of the files make sure to backup them.

Go Apple, it is a nice way to get back at microsoft for having you go trough this ordeal without your consent.

fcuco, Apr 11, 2016
  10. techilliterate

Corzhens

I'm quite confused with this. Okay, I have read in several sites that Windows 10 upgrades are sometimes automatic. But to erase the files, huh, it looks like your laptop was contaminated by a virus. I wonder what the stand of Microsoft on this issue? Is there anyone here who have also experienced an automatic upgrade to Windows 10 with the existing files erased as a result of the transition?

Corzhens, Apr 11, 2016
Ask a Question