Ipod Hard Drive fited but cant format it!

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by djtilko, Mar 31, 2009.

1. djtilko

djtilko

Says it all really I removed the ssd from my aa1 today fitted a gig of extra ram and also put a hard drive in from an 80 gig ipod classic, but it wont format or install any operating system. Any ideas? it seems to attempt to format but after 4 mins or so it comes up failed to format this drive. Will have to put the old ssd back in and settle for 8 gig if I cant get it to use this drive. The drive was working ok in the ipod, and is still loaded with mp3s.

djtilko, Mar 31, 2009
  2. djtilko

Scissors

Try to reseat it. that might work. Wich file system are you attempting to use.
    And what are you trying to format with?

Scissors, Mar 31, 2009
  3. djtilko

djtilko

Have been using a usb live stick and the gparted program to format the hard drive, have tried ext2 ext 3 but after running for about five minutes it comes back with unable to format this drive! I am thinking of trying to install from a usb xp to see if the windows setup would format it. Also I have downloaded Boot and Nuke but all I get is a black screen and prompt !! if I had an external cd rom drive It may work from that? Would using #mkdosfs command work?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, for the moment I have put the ssd card back in and its working ok.

djtilko, Apr 1, 2009
Ask a Question