Internet not working anymore!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ashpire, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ashpire

ashpire

Hello
    Can somebody help me? I messed with the settings in some way and now the internet is not working anymore. I can access my router settings page, and I can ping my router totally as normal. But I can't open or ping any web pages. And I've tried both wired and wireless and none of them works.

ashpire, Nov 10, 2008
  2. ashpire

Duncan_Rowland

Did you change settings on your router or just your One (or both)?

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 10, 2008
  3. ashpire

ashpire

Just on my One. Any help is appriciated!

ashpire, Nov 10, 2008
  4. ashpire

Duncan_Rowland

Possibly a daft question :) - But, do you have any inkling what it was you might have changed?

5. ashpire

ashpire

Well I tried to get the connection working with my mobile phone using a usb-cable, and the internet connection actually works at the moment if I use my phone as a modem, but only if I type in the right ip for all sites. So I tought it was a DNS problem and tried to manually put OpenDNS dns-servers ip-adresses in /etc/resolv.conf but that didn't help anything... And after that the ethernet/wlan connection did'nt work. And I can't understand why I can use my routers http-configuration/ping it just as usual, but nothing else works.
    And the problem has to be in my One, the connection works with my other pc.

ashpire, Nov 10, 2008
  6. ashpire

Duncan_Rowland

Yes, it does sound like a DNS problem now... (so pobably this will work http://66.249.91.104/)
    I don't have my aspire here at work, but you might just need to replace your resolv.conf with what was originally there, and set you DNS severs to be what they used to be (i.e. probably configured automatically)

7. ashpire

daldred

I'd agree with this: but I *think* Network Manager will rewrite the resolv.conf file automatically if it can't find it. If you can't recall what was originally in there, it could be worth trying this:

- rename resolv.conf to resolv.conf.old
    - reboot

daldred, Nov 10, 2008
  8. ashpire

ashpire

I tried to edit and to rename resolv.conf but it didn't help. I can't access any webpage/ping any webpage (my router is the only thing that works), if the One is connected by ethernet/wlan.

But if I connect my phone with wvdial&usb-cable I can access webpages if I enter their correct ip, but it doesn't work with ethernet/wifi.

ashpire, Nov 10, 2008
  9. ashpire

ashpire

Well the wifi connection works normally again now, I don't really know what I did but now it works just as it should. The ethernet connection just doesn't work now, for some reason.. So if somebody has some good advice please tell me what to do :/
    edit: problem solved.

ashpire, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question