Installing VLC wrecked DVD playback

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Aspiration, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Aspiration

Aspiration

After installing VLC, I now cannot play any dvd's. Tried installing smplayer but it keeps saying there is no configured devices. The useless help file says to configure it... as we all know... linux is not user friendly and without knowing what it requires there is no possibility of getting it working.

also tried reinstalling mplayer. also useless.

Obviously, any changes to linux always breaks something.
    Why doesn't anyone warn users that VLC breaks DVD playback?

Aspiration, Apr 20, 2009
  2. Aspiration

Aspiration

Like I've said a hundred times... bad instructions cause all kinds of problems... take for instance... instructions on the macles website about installing vlc. There are a couple of lines that delete mplayer. When this is done in order to install vlc, it removes the dvd playback functions.
    Had to reinstall everything from scratch and it now plays dvds with vlc installed. Haven't tested vlc yet to see if it works.

Aspiration, Apr 20, 2009
  3. Aspiration

Aspiration

After spending half a day reinstalling linux and vlc I have come to the conclusion that VLC SUCKS!
    VLC will not open and play mpg videos when the default media players are installed. Then if you uninstall the default media players you will not be able to play dvds anymore.

Why is this always the case with linux that adding one thing wrecks something else?
    So now I uninstalled VLC. SCREW IT!

Aspiration, Apr 20, 2009
Ask a Question