Installing downloaded plug ins?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dfbass, Aug 12, 2009.

1. dfbass

dfbass

I have upgraded to Mozilla Firefox 3, but now the flash plug in is not working. I have downloaded the required software, but can't get it to connect to the browser...so it is still not working. How do I get the flash to be properly installed?

Cheers,
    Dan

dfbass, Aug 12, 2009
  2. dfbass

RockDoctor

My apologies for all the questions below, but your answers to them is likely to suggest the answer to your original question

What is the name of the file you downloaded? Did you install it or just download and save it? What do you get when you enter the following code in a terminal window?
    Code:
    locate libflash

RockDoctor, Aug 16, 2009
  3. dfbass

dfbass

To answer your questions:

1. Search for flash:

For just entering locate libflash>>
    bash: locate: command not found

for first entering 'select all' the 'locate libflash'>>
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `locate'

2. I downloaded the following file: install_flash_player_10_linux.tar

When I try to install, nothing happens. When I look under system>add/remove software, the Package Manager shows that "flash-plugin - 9.0.124.0-release.i386 Adobe Flash Player 9.0" is installed. I'm thinking maybe there is a disconnect between Firefox and Flash, and somehow tghe browser is not reading the proper location of the installed flash player. Is that a possibility?

Hope this helps better explain the situation...

dfbass, Aug 18, 2009
  4. dfbass

fweigel

The way to install Firefox 3 is to go to:

http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/f ... nnect.html

and follow the Firefox 3 download and installation. This will keep flash etc. working correctly. Also, there are some libraries in Firefox 2 that are still needed, and you don't want to replace those. Using the Acer version takes care of these issues.

fweigel, Aug 18, 2009
  5. dfbass

dfbass

wow...that was incredibly useful and seems to have worked...now on to tackle getting my live update to work!

dfbass, Aug 19, 2009
Ask a Question