Installing Cinelerra (Video editing)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jason G, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Jason G

Jason G

Hi,

Has anyone on here got any experinence in installing/running Cinelerra on an Aspire One?

I posted yesterday trying to run LiVES but was told the Aspire isn't really powerful enough. I am therefore wondering if anyone use Cinelerra instead?

Whilst I'm on the subject, how do I know which release to use:

Arch Linux | Ark Linux | Debian | Fedora | Gentoo | Mandriva | Slackware | Suse | Ubuntu

I have the white Aspire, Linux Linpus Lite with an Intel Atom processor.

Jason G, Oct 23, 2008
  2. Jason G

cpchan

Although it can be compiled and installed, the AA1 does not have enough horse power for Cinelerra (or any real video editing suite). Also, the 1024x600 screen size makes the Cinelarra interface unusable or very painful to use.

If you just want to do really simple things, I suggest installing Avidemux.

cpchan, Oct 23, 2008
  3. Jason G

Jason G

Thanks Cpchan,

Yes, I have already installed Avidemux, but I really want something primarily to compress video files, i.e. 640x480 .AVIs of around 6mb+ into smaller files to fit better into the hard drive. Is Avidemux capable of this then??

RE Cinelerra, I have downloaded and uncompressed a 17mb Debian package and found a Cinelerra Desktop Configuration file and a mplexlo executable, but neither will launch and the folder lacks the Install file.

I'll happily forget Cinelerra if Avidemux can compress videos whilst getting them into a recognised format that can be used by Windows and Linux :)

Any ideas?

Take care,

Jason

Jason G, Oct 23, 2008
  4. Jason G

cpchan

Yes, transcoding is one of the primary function of Avidemux. Choose the output video and audio format (first drop down box in their respective sections) and set the options in the "Configure" tabs. For best quality vs. file size, I suggest using 2 pass encoding with Xvid for video and mp3/ac3 for audio. Here is the wiki based documentation:

http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

for Avidemux.

Cinelerra is actually the wrong tool for this, since it is meant for professional video editing (ie. uncompressed video). It has very limited import and export options.

When I have more time, I will adept my personal batch transcoding script to the AA1 and post it.

cpchan, Oct 23, 2008
  5. Jason G

Jason G

Thanks,

So it seems Avidemux is the one I should be using after all :roll: !!

EDIT: Each time I change the options from video and audio Copy I lose the sound partially when I re-save and play back at least on the Aspire, but if I don't change anything I get the same video size!! Does yours give any more success or am I just missing something??

Jason G, Oct 24, 2008
  6. Jason G

cpchan

What do you mean by losing the sound partially? What options did you choose?

I have been using Avidemux for years with no problems. Although for straight transcoding, I tend to just use MEncoder from command line.

cpchan, Oct 24, 2008
  7. Jason G

Jason G

Sorry,

The sound is right for the first few seconds, then goes completely and at the end of the clip it plays all the lost sound in one loud second. I have been choosing Copy for audio. Whenever I save it, no matter how many filters I use it always comes out as the same size in MBs with no change to the video or else it'll save as 655kb and say it doesn't have the right codec to play it.

What am I doing wrong?

Jason G, Oct 24, 2008
  8. Jason G

cpchan

Which codec did you choose for video? What is the audio codec in the original clip? Can I get a hold of a sample clip?

cpchan, Oct 24, 2008
  9. Jason G

Jason G

Hi CP :)

Sorry for no reply - been busy.

I have accidentally worked out how to reduce clip size whilst keeping it in a recognized format...

1 AVI clip opened, Video set to FLV1 (lavc) and additionally a Filter applied of 640x480 trimmed to 320x240, Frame Rate converted from 30 to 15 and merged, and Audio set to Copy and then saved as an AVI-format file some 4x smaller... success!!!

In hindsight I don't doubt this is the software I needed. In case you know, how do you insert Subtitles, or failing that, add text?

Thanks for your help, CPChan :)

Jason G, Oct 27, 2008
  10. Jason G

cpchan

In Avidemux, after you set the output video codec, go to "Filters"-> "Subtitles" in the "video section".

cpchan, Oct 27, 2008
Ask a Question