Installed XP Pro but Home shows up on boot-up

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Ken029, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Ken029

Ken029

Hi Guys,

I installed a retail copy of XP Pro with SP3 on my AOA 150. What puzzles me is that upon every boot up a prompt shows up asking which OS I would like to boot... Pro or Home. Pro is working fine but when I select Home an error shows up, a DLL is missing, which essentially does not allow me to proceed with the boot up on Home.

Any ideas how this happened

Ken029, Mar 19, 2009
  2. Ken029

SNOboy

Sounds like you did separate install rather than an upgrade, or did you want to have both. the problem is most likely the fact that when you installed pro it overwrote sysem files for the home install, did you make another partition or is this on the same partition? hope this helps SNO

SNOboy, Mar 20, 2009
  3. Ken029

Ken029

With the XP installer/boot disc, I deleted the main and recovery partitions then I proceeded with the installation... I did this often enough on laptops, that's why this installation puzzles me.

What do you think?

Ken029, Mar 20, 2009
  4. Ken029

goofball

sounds like perhaps the bootloader is on a different partition. Are you sure you cleared out all partitions before installing? otherwise just edit the boot.ini and remove the Home entry.

goofball, Mar 20, 2009
  5. Ken029

Ken029

I'm sure I deleted the partitions and did a low level format on the primary/active partition where I installed XP Pro.

Care to show me what to do? the BOOT.INI you are saying is the one on the MSCONFIG utility right? So I need to delete the HOME EDITION entry?

Ken029, Mar 21, 2009
  6. Ken029

goofball

you should directly edit it by going to control panel -> system -> Advanced -> startup and recovery, click on the edit, or just ensure that you have the default OS (Pro) showing in the dropdown menu, and disable the time to wait for you to select an OS.

goofball, Mar 21, 2009
  7. Ken029

Ken029

Great!

Thanks for the help. I'll try that. ;)

Ken029, Mar 22, 2009
Ask a Question