Install iAtkos from a USB flash drive? Can't get it to boot.

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by estnyc, Dec 17, 2008.

1. estnyc

estnyc

I think what I'm trying to do is either not possible, or it is, and I've screwed it up in some way that should be embarrassingly obvious.

I downloaded the iAtkos v5i from one of the usual places. I wanted to put it on a USB flash stick, instead of getting a USB DVD drive. On my Mac, I couldn't use Disk Utility to restore from the ISO file, as I got an error message every time I tried to scan the file for a restore. I finally ended up burning the file to a DVD, then using Disk Utility to restore the DVD to my Kensington 8GB flash drive.

I attach the drive to my AAO, reboot, hold down the F12 key, and tell it to boot from the USB stick. It tries to, flashed a brief and hard-to-read error on the screen, something about not being able to find, well, something on the Kensington. Then it switches to the IDE drive and boots into XP the usual way.

Do I need to first format the Kensington stick in a particular way?

Is this impossible, anyway?

I wanted to go with the stock Leopard DVD method, but my DVD seems so battered that Disk Utility refuses to make an image of it (that can be remedied, of course...).

Am I wasting my time? Or is there a way to use iAtkow via USB stick that I've missed?

Thanks very much.

estnyc, Dec 17, 2008
  2. estnyc

rory

Probably best as HFS+
    And i would say it might be missing com.apple.boot.plist, my badly burned DVD's usually say that
    Rory

rory, Dec 17, 2008
  3. estnyc

azlvda

i have succeed installed iatkos 5i with 2gb Corsair voyager GT and 40 gb extrenal hd to my aao
    followed this method
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7917#p51557

here what i did
    on windows
    first i format usb flash drive using this tool with fat32
    Use syslinux to turn the USB device into a bootable (im using syslinux 3.71)

command: syslinux -mf X:

extract BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.ISO
    Renaming ISOLINUX.BIN to SYSLINUX.SYS and copy the .CFG file from the ISOLINUX folder, into the root, rename as: SYSLINUX.CFG
    edit SYSLINUX.CFG and add the following line under the contents:

PROMPT 0
    TIMEOUT 5
    DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.img
    APPEND biosdev=81

copy all files to usb flash drive

on mac:
    restore iatkos iso to my extrenal hd

then ready to go
    boot set to USB FDD, USB HDD, IDE0...

sorry for bad english

azlvda, Dec 17, 2008