install driver for brother MFC-8460N

Discussion in 'Linux' started by matteosg, Sep 1, 2008.

1. matteosg

matteosg

Hi Guys,

Have a brother MFC-8460N in the office which I would like to connect my AA1 to & I'm not sure where to begin, appreciate any help. My AA1 is running linpus

Thanks in advance

Matt

matteosg, Sep 1, 2008
  2. matteosg

Elllipsis

Choose your printer from both of these lists and download both .rpm files into a folder of your choosing

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/ ... ivers.html

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/ ... s.html#red
    (choose your printer from the list with Redhat)

Follow these instructions:
    Note: instead of all the terminal instructions you can simply install them rpms by clicking on them (lpr then cups wrapper), Also ignore the "make a directory" step...just delete the rpms after you are done so they dont waste space.

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/ ... tall5.html

Hopefully that does the trick.

Elllipsis, Sep 1, 2008
  3. matteosg

linker3000

The OpenPrinting Database is also a good reference to find out if a 'standard' driver will work with your printer and thus avoid the hassle of installing manufacturer's 'bespoke' packages - here's their Brother page:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer_lis ... ke=Brother

linker3000, Sep 1, 2008
  4. matteosg

matteosg

Thanks. Will give it a shot tomorrow.

matt

matteosg, Sep 1, 2008
  5. matteosg

paisa

Brother printer drivers are preloaded in the aspire one (/usr/share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/Brother). The 8460 isn't there, but the 8440 is. Update Cups (by typing "sudo yum update cups" in a terminal window) and then after a successful update, open a browser window and type "localhost:631." That should bring up the Cups (Common Unix Printer System) interface. Use it to add new printers. It will automatically access the compressed database of printer drivers and install your printer. Easy as pie. The only wrinkle that I had is that when the CUPs interface asks for the user id and password, you need to type in "root" for user and then your password as the password. Installing network printers this way is easy. Only thing that you need is the printers IP address (which should be static). I have a Brother 8840 and was able to check on the IP address and make it static using the lcd screen and buttons on the printer itself (you need to turn DHCP off in that panel as well). I haven't checked the scanner or fax functions yet, but as a printer is works well. Also, updating Cups is necessary are you want to choose LPD and use as the printer URI: "lpd://(local IP address)/queue (e.g. for me the URI was "lpd://192.168.10.233/queue").

paisa, Sep 3, 2008
  6. matteosg

matteosg

Hi Paisa,

when I type 'localhost:631' in the browser, its shows '404 No Found'. I've updated cups.

Thanks
    Matt

matteosg, Sep 4, 2008
  7. matteosg

paisa

Hello Matt,

Did you reboot after updating cups? I have 3 Ones for my kids that are homeschooling and it works fine on all of them. I did have the same problem with one in the store that gave me the same error message you describe, but I assumed it was because cups had not been updated. Other than updating cups and doing some liveupdates, all 3 computers are pretty much as they came out of the box. However, I am not a linux expert, so maybe I am missing something. Good luck.

paisa, Sep 5, 2008
  8. matteosg

matteosg

Hi Paisa,

My apologies, its all ok after I reboot. Thanks for your help.

Matt

matteosg, Sep 5, 2008
  9. matteosg

yeti

hi all,
    looks very helpful. but i have the printer dcp-310cn which does not show up in the printer list. any ideas how to install this one ?
    thannx

yeti, Sep 6, 2008
  10. matteosg

paisa

Try using this ppd file: http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php? ... 1179086574. Download it to your Downloads folder and unzip it.

When you get to the point where the CUPS interface asks you for: "Make/Manufacturer for x," at the bottom of the page you should see another box that says: "Or Provide a PPD File: with a blank box and a button to the right that says "Browse..." Click the browse button and go to the Downloads directory and click on the ppd file that you downloaded and unzipped (it must have a .ppd extension). The continue the install as normal. Let us know if this ppd file worked.

paisa, Sep 8, 2008
Ask a Question