Increasing your laptop battery life

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by remnant, Sep 23, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant

Sometimes a person finds himself in a situation where they need to use their laptop but are disadvantaged by the battery. One way to prolong the battery life is to turn such things as the blue tooth radio and other peripheral applications like the USB mode. You can also assign a hotkey to turn off the keyboard backlight as well as the screen lighting. Any other strategies?

remnant, Sep 23, 2016
  2. remnant

IcyBC

I lower the brightness of my computer, and I put it to sleep mode when not in use. It think it helps the battery to last a bit longer. I also don't over charged the battery by leaving it on all night plugging in. Since I am on the MacBook, I don't even know where the battery is unless I open the back cover, which I am not going to even attempt to do it..I just use practical sense :)

IcyBC, Sep 23, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  3. remnant

Karen Gordon

Yes, I think that over charging the battery has been a problem of mine. My batteries are both shot, so now I have to leave them plugged in just to be able use the computer, but when and if I get a new one, I will not be making the same mistake. It is counterproductive, and does drain your battery I think.

Karen Gordon, Sep 23, 2016
  4. remnant

Fuzyon

I found that on my laptop the performance on high is similar to the one on balanced, the latter obviously having the advantage of more battery life so I guess you could try that when you're just doing mundane tasks on your laptop. I also plug off my battery whenever it's close to 100%, it's not a good idea to waste energy and it will damage your battery life span in the long term.

Fuzyon, Sep 23, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. remnant

Elektron

Well, I don't really find those tips way too useful since all those features tend to be off the whole time, so it probably will not work for many people around, however, there are some other things you could take into account such as lowering the screen's brightness and enabling the power saving feature to somehow prolong the battery's life.

Elektron, Sep 23, 2016
  6. remnant

Corzhens

This is the first advise I got from out tech in the office. Adjust the brightness of the screen since it is one big consumer of power. And to preserve the battery's longevity, I never pull the plug of the charger when it is not 100% charged. I cannot say if that is effective but it looks like it is. And not to forget, shut down your laptop when not in use. It is foolish to let it go running while you are doing something that would take time (an hour maybe).

Corzhens, Sep 24, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. remnant

Jenny jonson

One of the basic tips is that you should decrease you laptop brightness and shut down or quiet background applications/software...and while browsing try no to open any extra or useless tab.

Jenny jonson, Nov 28, 2016
  8. remnant

michadoh

To prolong battery life you need to turn on your battery saving mode which will affect the performance of your laptop. If you are doing a light task there shouldn't be any problem.

Also, do not over charge your laptop.

michadoh, Apr 27, 2020
Ask a Question