Increase the resolution from 1024x600 to 1024x768?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by suprone, Sep 19, 2008.

1. suprone

suprone

Hi,

I have a acer aspire one, windows xp home, and I installed galactic civilizations II but when I try to run it, it says that it needs to run in 1024x768. Is there a way to increase the screen resolution on the acer from the default 1024x600 to 1024x768? It needs to run at least at 1024x768.

In http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3613&p=24186&hilit=resolution#p24186 topic, the member says that it is possible to use "a cropped 1046x768", how would one go about doing this?

Thanks

suprone, Sep 19, 2008
  2. suprone

fredw

The quick answer, without actually doing it (my AA1 is on order right now) is by editing the xorg.conf file and adding / modifying the virtual

I.E. The logical size of the screen is 1024x768, the resolution of the screen is 1024x600 (controlled in xorg.confg) and the actual physical size of the display is 1024x600 (physical hardware).

So what you get is your screen being a window into a desktop that is 168 pixels larger vertically than the physical display. When you move the mouse near the top or the bottom, the screen will scroll (up to a total of 168 pixels).

From what I understand with a bit of googling it looks like:
    1. Make a backup copy of the xorg.conf file such as cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /root/xorg.bak
    2. Use mousepad, such as from the terminal mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    3. Find the line that reads Virtual 1024 600 and change it to Virtual 1024 768
    4. Restart

fredw, Sep 19, 2008
  3. suprone

maciek

damn reading is one tough skill :roll:

maciek, Sep 19, 2008
  4. suprone

suprone

Yeah.. But like the others implied, I have windows xp home not linux.

edit: Nevermind, I found out how, thanks for the advice anyway.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2294&p=19579&hilit=resolution#p19254

suprone, Sep 19, 2008
  5. suprone

fredw

Sorry, I had just read a post on installing Linpus on a XP Home setup and with that on my mind, I just filled in the blank, "I had an XP Home system which is now running Linpus".

It was a good post, I wish there was a better thread to put this in :D

fredw, Sep 19, 2008
  6. suprone

suprone

Yeah that can happen sometimes lol. I changed the resolution, but now I have to scroll up and down when I'm at 1024x768. Is there a way to just have the screen squeeze everything onto the screen?

suprone, Sep 19, 2008
  7. suprone

Patric

... all you have to do is on the monitor tab on the display advanced settings remove the check box "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display".

Hi newbies ... like me. Wouldn't it be nice if the sentence above had useful information in it? I have the linpus version of AAOne and I cannot get a straight useful direction as to how to change the resolution so my data projector [which only uses 800x600] can display slide presentations without 'squeezing' the image horizontally. I can't find a "monitor tab" or "display advanced settings" or a check box for "hides modes ...". And this is only one of many answers of that type. A sequence of keystrokes would be great to have. Its good to know that is all I have to do. Now, any hope for practical information on how to do it? I am sorry but my patience is wearing thin, and I was very much looking forward to leaving Windows behind. So far it looks like I would need to become hopelessly techie as opposed to just needing to get a job done. If I can find out the display solution then I will not have wasted my money ... just my time. Thanks for any real help there is available. Be well.

Patric

Patric, Nov 8, 2008
  8. suprone

Patric

I have the problem resolved, and my attitude adjusted for the better. Sorry for whinging. Turns out that to change the display resolution on a n external monitor [read projector] one must have the projector plugged into the AAOne at that moment, and select from 'Display Settings' on the desktop the option 'display only on external monitor'. Then just select the desired resolution. <sigh> Problem solved. Now on to the next one. Thanks for your help and patience.
    Patric

Patric, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question