In Stock To Collect - PCWorld UK

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by speedcam, Jul 15, 2008.

1. speedcam

speedcam

I've just checked the PC World site and they are showing the Blue 8Gb Linux version and its available for collection in store, there seemed to be a number of stores showing stock.

speedcam, Jul 15, 2008
  2. speedcam

Flaterik

In my store in italy i have 3 White Aone and 2 Blue. The blue version upgraded with 1gb ram ;)

Flaterik, Jul 16, 2008
  3. speedcam

lotus49

I just checked and couldn't find any reference to it at all. Can you provide a link? How much were they charging?

I have pre-ordered one from play.com for 199.99 but I don't know whether they will stick to that price since they are now saying that they will be 219.99.

lotus49, Jul 16, 2008
  4. speedcam

Guest Guest

I had one on preorder with play but delivery date slipped again.

As for PC World seems they are now sold out?

SORRY
    Due to high demand the following item(s) are currently unavailable.
    Acer Aspire One A110 AB - Sapphire Netbook for internet browsing on the move
    Please use the back button to go to the previous page.

PC World

Guest, Jul 16, 2008
  5. speedcam

lotus49

Curses, foiled again. I hadn't noticed the delivery date had slipped - how frustrating. They are starting to appear on eBay from the States now, perhaps I'll try that or see if one of my colleagues is going to Singapore/HK soon.

lotus49, Jul 16, 2008
  6. speedcam

Andysan

Went into my local PC World today, and after the local dance around the store asking numerous staff where the display was i finally found someone who understood that they weren't working in a shoe shop and had a razzs around the desktop for a half an hour.

It is by no means a conclusive test, but the EEE 701 and MSI Wind (XP) were next to the Aspire, so i shut it down and turned them all on - The Aspire was at the desktop and ready to go in sub 10 seconds - thats amazing!!! The 701 was around 20, and the Wind rocking XP took 45 seconds. Bear in mind that these notebooks are not all new out of the box etc... so it is not a fair test. I would have picked one up there and then but they only had the blue model in stock, and i want a white one.

The OS is very slick and nice to use, the keyboard is nice and my only quibble is that the large shift key is on the right, and i use the left one. What suprised me the most was the mouse buttons - i use my middle finger on the trackpad - if you hold your hand out and point your middle finger down, notice that your 2nd and 4th fingers point horizontally and slightly outwartds. This means that your fingers are closer to the left click right click buttons than if they were behind the trackpad - i would almost go as far as to say it was better. On my Vista notebook i have to take my mioddle finger completely off the trackpad to reach the click buttons, with the Aspire i dont.

Only negative point was that the build quality doesn't seem quite upto that of thew wind - if i tap the Wind next to the trackpad it makes a reassuring thud, the Aspire One sounds a little more hollow.

Overall impressions are very very good, now if only Expansys get the white ones in ASAP i will be a happy bunny.

Andysan, Jul 16, 2008
  7. speedcam

Kev50027

Lucky! I would have gotten a blue one, but they were only offering white in the US when I ordered mine. Should arrive tomorrow!

Kev50027, Jul 17, 2008
  8. speedcam

Sidewinder

Is boot time really relevant though??

Isn't there too many factors to consider?
    When do you stop the watch? Windows XP shows a desktop, however, there's still activity on the HDD and the system's not 100% responsive.
    My Aspire running XP gets to the login screen in 22 seconds..
    I have stripped most of the non essential services.
    I remember Jobs pushing his engineers to get the Apple to boot 5 seconds faster, he had all these figures showing how much time a person would save by the end of their lives, that was a goal they set, did the software running on the OS run any faster? No..

There's more scientific ways to measure system performance, though in the end it will always come down to what you're comfortable with and what you use the Aspire for. Personally, it's a support tool which is easy to carry around, runs Windows and our software. I can use it to scratch ideas down when i'm on the move.. Did i mention it's small and easy to carry?

Sidewinder, Jul 17, 2008
  9. speedcam

Andysan

Yeah, like i said, it was by no means a scientific test, it was me standing in PC World. FOr info, i stopped timing when the whole of the desktop appeared and the egg timer dissapeared.

Andysan, Jul 17, 2008
  10. speedcam

lotus49

How much were they? I want a blue one and there are several PC Worlds near me.

lotus49, Jul 17, 2008
  11. speedcam

rugbydaawg

picked mine up yesterday at pc world in bushey branch,near watford they had several blue ones in stock £249.00 though just wish i could get it to work with my 3 network dongle, apparently they're not compatable so it needs one of you clever programmers to work out a fix,,,

rugbydaawg, Jul 17, 2008
  12. speedcam

lotus49

I have scoured their web site and just phoned them and they didn't have the faintest idea what I was talking about and the web site made absolutely no reference to it.

Play.com (where I pre-ordered mine about a fortnight ago) have now put back delivery to early/mid August.

My money is burning a hole in my pocket...

lotus49, Jul 18, 2008
  13. speedcam

Andysan

Sorry Lotus, £249 @ PC World - i've just called Expansys and they have now quoted me mid August for stock - i don't want to wait that long so called PC World back regarding a blue one but my local has sold out and they don't even have the One on the system any longer, so i assume that means they've had their lot for the time being.

I'm really annoyed with Acer about this. First they are leading people on - i am loyally holding out for my One when i really wanted a netbook for the summer - now its mid-August at best. Furthermore they then release them in small quantities without any official press release or mention. Should have snapped one up when i had the chance.

PC World are just as bad (for numerous reasons - too many to list here) - why completely remove a product from the system, i know have no idea whether their is stock around me because i cant give the call center an item ID to check it. The call centre say that there might be stock, or they might have all gone hence no mention of it on the system. All the money these companies must waste on marketing and customer service eh?

Andysan, Jul 21, 2008
  14. speedcam

Sid

Just collected my blue AOA110 8Gb linux unit from PC World (buying there is not usually a good idea, but....).

There are at least another four (same model/configuration) in stock at the Yeovil store 249 UKP.

Sid, Jul 22, 2008
  15. speedcam

organisys

Picked mine up 19th July. PC World Kensington High St. Blue. 512Mb Linpus.

organisys, Jul 22, 2008
  16. speedcam

lotus49

Unfortunately, Yeovil isn't exactly handy for Yorkshire where I live. I'll see if I can nip out at lunch-time tomorrow - it should only take 4-5 hours if I drive quickly :) .

The price is a bit of a swizz as well. I don't really mind another 50 quid so much but part of the appeal is that the One is value for money. I pre-ordered mine from play.com for 199.99 (although I don't know whether they will stick to that price) and getting a cool laptot for that price sounds a lot better when I'm showing it off to my mates than 250 quid.

lotus49, Jul 22, 2008
  17. speedcam

Sid

I take your point about Yeovil not being "handy" for most places, I was only trying to help those who were close enough , not aggravate those who cannot get close :|

I can always collect at store for you, that would give you a few more hours to drive down - hmm, maybe the fuel would cost more than postage.

The general price out there (in the UK) appears to be about £220, so I don't mind the extra £30, because there are three benefits, firstly I get the One when I need it (I am traveling tomorrow), secondly, absolutely no postal charge (I know not all places charge postage) and finally, if it goes wrong I can take it back and slap someone :)

Of course I will get more than £30 benefit from having the One now, traveling with a full size Dell lugtop, about four kilos of M$poop.
    If I was forced to take it with me, I would pay someone to carry that pile of junk for me, but as I don't need to use it anymore - it will go into the bin at the office.

Anyway, I hope you get the £199 price, you will enjoy the One when it arrives.

Sid, Jul 22, 2008
Ask a Question