Impressed by Ubuntu 9.04 (great battery life + boot speed)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aabxx, May 18, 2009.

1. aabxx

aabxx

I have the 8 gb SSD version.

With sound muted, lowest brightness and wifi turned off, the lowest value powertop reports after a while at idle is 7.2 watt with X and IceWM running.

While browsing slashdot.org in a single tab (wifi on, sound muted and lowest brightness), I think I could manage 2 hours and 40 minutes in a best case scenario with a new 3 cell battery. With a decent battery (a 6 cell 5200 mAh one), you'd be looking at over 6 hours worth of browsing in a best case scenario.

With youtube running in window mode, in a single tab (wifi on, sound 95% and lowest brightness), I think the best case scenario would be 2 hours and 20 minutes with a new 3 cell battery.

Boot time is approximately 25 seconds. Ext4 is a nice addition and working very well (it might be quicker than Ext2 even with journaling turned on, according to one source). Wifi, sound and webcam worked out of box. I don't use SD, mic or suspend/resume so no comments on those. WIFI-LED doesn't work out of box but I don't care about that, at least the switch works if you add the right code.

I'm impressed.

aabxx, May 18, 2009
  2. aabxx

Vapourstreak

i`m guessing this is the netbook remix , right ? is it possible to get rid of the application launcher , and use a regular desktop ?

thanks ,
    vapour

Vapourstreak, May 27, 2009
  3. aabxx

itres

Yes there is a dialog available to select one of the 2 options.

Grtz

itres, May 27, 2009
  4. aabxx

jango

What kernel are you using????

jango, May 27, 2009
  5. aabxx

Andysan

Im getting about a 30 second boot time plus the same to logon with Intrepid on my 8GB/512MB and am wondering if its worth upgrading to Jaunty, but i dont want to lose my customisations.

Andysan, May 30, 2009
  6. aabxx

cht123

When I switch to the reqular desktop and reboot, it only show an empty desktop without menus and such.

Any suggestions to fix that?

I can use ctrl+alt+F1 to go to the command prompt but need instructions for how to fix back the menus. Before the reboot the reqular desktop is ok.

cht123, May 30, 2009
  7. aabxx

markh

I think this is the post that fixed it for me, but it was a few weeks ago so I can't be sure: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=9

markh, May 31, 2009
Ask a Question