I'm So New I Thought LinuxWas a Peanuts Character PRNT HELP

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by arcom, Sep 7, 2008.

1. arcom

arcom

Long term microsoft windows user here, so all this Linux Lingo is strange. Being a semi MS-DOS expert helps some, but not enough. However, right out of the box my AA1 was a piece of cake to use which is why I bought it. The only thing it won't do for me is print to a printer on my wireless home network.

I've installed SMB4K which gives a nice manager for the network, but it will not mount the printer, automatically or manually, although it does show it. (I installed the software package for it). If i try to print to it, the print manager says "processing" for a couple minutes, then stops.

One poster says he had to run SMB4K from the root. Totally lost me with that "from the root" stuff although I know what a root directory is, thank-you MS-DOS.

If i can get my AA1 to print to a network printer, I promise not to fiddle anymore and ask these silly Linux questions. And I promise never to pronounce it LINE-UX.

Thanks in advance.

arcom, Sep 7, 2008
  2. arcom

scottro

Re: I'm So New I Thought Linux Was a Peanuts Character! HELP!!

Well, Linux was named after its creator, Linus, so you're not so far off.

The syntax should be something like (in the add printer dialog)
    smb://Windowsmachine/printername

If it can't ping the Windows machine by name, you should be able to use the IP address.

This is untested on the aspire one, (my home printer is connected by a JetDirect, so I haven't done it that way.)

scottro, Sep 7, 2008
  3. arcom

mista2

My printer is a Lexmark with an ethernet card, setup as an LPR device. I don't share it from my desktops (can't guarantee they are on 8))
    Can this printer setup wizard use [IP of Printer]/lpr1 under the ipp settings?

mista2, Sep 9, 2008
  4. arcom

hmraao

Re: I'm So New I Thought Linux Was a Peanuts Character! HELP!!

In fact...
    See: Father Of Linux ---> Linus Torvalds

Did you know that there's a Peanut Linux distro? I kid you, not.

Actually, I think you'll find it's pronounced "anti-gates"

"Many a true word is spoken in jest..."

hmraao, Sep 9, 2008
  5. arcom

scottro

I think Peanut Linux faded away--is it still around? I remember trying it years and years ago--it was based on RH as I recall.

scottro, Sep 9, 2008
  6. arcom

hmraao

It became aLinux.

hmraao, Sep 9, 2008
  7. arcom

scottro

Ahh-that's right, thank you.

scottro, Sep 9, 2008
  8. arcom

edgecrush3r

Well i could easily go on about a book called the Cryptonomicon, but i think i will just give you the answer you are looking for. :D

In a Linux/Unix environment all applications running underneath the kernel are started/loaded by an user. In windows this is the same to some extend (think about windows starting services, and applications which can only installed by the user called 'Administrator'). The user called 'root' is in fact always the most previledged user on the Linux/Unix system. Since the Linux/Unix OS doesnt just trust members of a group (like the adminstrators group), you must actually log-in as root, become root, or temporary get access from root to perform certain things in a Linux environment (like software installations).

To become root you can run the following command in a shell:
    su -

Once becoming root, you have the powers of greyskull !!!! so beware you only use the force when needed :)

PS: If its not clear, you can read more about the root user on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_user and even beter (for nostalgic reasons) http://www.linfo.org/root.html ;)

Cheers,
    Tony

edgecrush3r, Sep 9, 2008
Ask a Question