I'm New & Have 2 Issues: Fan Noise & Wifi Speed on Battery

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by AspireOrBust, Aug 26, 2008.

1. AspireOrBust

AspireOrBust

Hey everyone. I'm truly glad that there's a forum like this to help those of us who are new to the world of netbooks and the Aspire One.

So far, I love this machine (Aspire One; 120GB HD; 1GB RAM; AOA150-1570). However, I have two issues so far:

1) The fan ran constantly out of the box. At first, I didn't notice it, because I was using it in a room that had lots of background or ambient noise. But when I use the little Acer late at night, the fan ran constantly.

I applied the pretty interesting software program that forum member LoveTheOne (Ralf Neumuller) developed: AA1 fan control 0.9 beta.

It's a fantastic program. As I soon as I downloaded and ran it, my fan literally ran 1/10th as much, and even when it did run, it ran quietly. But here are my questions:

How do I know that with the fan not running as much, nor as forcefully, that there won't be any damage to any circuits or the motherboard in case operating temperatures run too high, or for too long? I know that the program is based on CPU temperature, but is there a different temperature affecting the motherboard, or critical elements thereof, that are independent of the CPU itself? Are those of you who are running this program confident that it is switching the fan on and off at the appropriate time based on an accurate thermal reading?

Also, I did some research, and it doesn't appear that Intel has published the safe operating CPU temperature range of the Atom processor along with this particular chipset. If they did, and I missed it, could someone let me know what that is?

2) My wifi connection and speed is great when I am plugged into AC power, but when I'm operating on battery power, it crawls to a snails pace. I assume there is a slower 'default' speed that I need to change when the system is in battery mode. Is that true?

Thanks for any help you may offer me.

AspireOrBust, Aug 26, 2008
  2. AspireOrBust

mary

where can i ifind the program for fan noise?

mary, Aug 26, 2008
  3. AspireOrBust

Guest Guest

Guest, Aug 26, 2008
  4. AspireOrBust

mary

thanks a lot! it really works. my fan makes no noise at all.... :D

mary, Aug 26, 2008
  5. AspireOrBust

crowman

Sorted my slow Wi-Fi speed whenrunning under battery by changing the power saving options for the Atheros Wireless Network adapter to 'Normal' ... speeded things up to cable powered speed. So ... Control Panel/System/Device Manager ... select Network Adaptor ... Atheros Wireless ... Properties .... Advanced ... Power Save Mode ... and set it to normal. Certainly worked for me.

crowman, Aug 27, 2008
Ask a Question