If it smells like a burned cable....

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by magnatree, Feb 27, 2009.

1. magnatree

magnatree

... then you might have a burned cable. As happened to me 10 minutes ago. I dis-/assembled my AAO about 5-6 times, changed wifi cards, ssd and so on. The 7th time was one too much. The cable that connects the trackpad with the mainboard has obviously broken (it always had a sharp bend) and caused a short circuit.

The good news: The rest still works fine after I removed the "glued on" cable from the mainboard carefully.

Now my questions. What damage do I have to expect? Do I need only a new cable or also a new trackpad? What normally happens on a short circuit? I can't say if the plug that sits on the mainboard is damaged too...

Some advise please :) Thank you!

magnatree, Feb 27, 2009
  2. magnatree

Universal

Right first off I can’t contend my excitement.

I have successful repaired the problem that you and I share. I was upgrading my ram to 1.5GB when whilst every thing else went fine (I am a computer scientist with combined electrical and electronic engineering) I felt really cheated that pos ffc cable ruined my touchpad. But as they with destruction comes creation I jumped on ebay to look for spares and found a nice fella selling all the case for 20 quid(better than that extortionist wanting 10 quid for a few pence part). Anyway he was selling cases for the 110 which worked fine on my 150.

So there symptoms were the cable melted also did not start posting. After I removed the cable it worked againg minus the mouse.

So this solution might work for you as well. I noticed that my touch pad controller (on the motherboard) was reporting the error 24 which I believe is disconnected hardware in the case the capacitive pad. To verify this use siw (check blew for a link) and look at hardware devices mouse.

Anyway I am off now so in summary you properly melted just the cable so in this case maybe this might work for you.

I am in no way responsible for any information in this post use at your own risk

I’ll leve you a link with his ebay page

Siw

http://www.gtopala.com/

ipodcear ebay page be quick not long left

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/it-auctio ... ec0Q2em322

Cheer’s

Disclaimer

I am in no way responsible for any information in this post use at your own risk you are responsible for any damage caused to you your property and your machine.

With that out of the way I whish you all the luck in the world

Universal (every body knows it’s universal)

Universal, Jun 16, 2009
Ask a Question