I think** I sold several AA1s @ the apple store today

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by atarione, Sep 2, 2008.

1. atarione

atarione

lol.. so I was bored this afternoon and went to the borders books up the road from my house... apparently a apple store has opened at the mall so I wandered in cause ...well why not?

I had my little AA1 w/ me (as I frequently do) and I was contrasting it's size /weight to the various apple lappys when curious apple store staff started gathering around (the store was busy but at one point i had 5 apple store employees checking out my Aspireone)... I showed them the software I have installed and kinda ran over my experiences with it... their mouths dropped when I told them my A110 was only $309 (they do sell mac's after all :D ) several of them said they where going to go to CC and see if they had any left after they got off work .... seriously LOL.

most fun I've ever had at an apple store.. it was hilarious.

curious mac shoppers watched the proceedings suspiciously but as the AA1 wasn't blessed by Lord Jobs they kept their distance ???? (I guess???) :D

atarione, Sep 2, 2008
  2. atarione

atarione

acer should really send me some swag or put me on payroll for this... if I can sell Acer's at the mac store I can damn well sell ice to Eskimos ... in short I RULE :D

atarione, Sep 2, 2008
  3. atarione

SbM

ROTFL. You should have opened it and showed them it could run Mac OS X 10.5.4 just fine, too. Don't know what they reaction would have been, though.

"Steve? Yeah, we got this guy here running Mac OS X on unsupported hardware. What's the procedure?" ;)

:D :D :D

SbM, Sep 2, 2008
  4. atarione

erazar

haha nice work! now for the test.. go sell them a zune! :lol:

erazar, Sep 2, 2008
  5. atarione

atarione

alright I'll have a go but someone needs to send me a Zune first....oh wait.. I said I could sell Eskimos ICE not luke warm PEE :D

atarione, Sep 2, 2008
  6. atarione

Tavel

awww now i wanna try it...but in it's current state, my aa1 would just further convince them that apple's are the work of angelic hands.

Tavel, Sep 2, 2008
  7. atarione

KiNG

lol nice post.

KiNG, Sep 3, 2008
  8. atarione

Sid

To promote the forum we could arrange a "visit an Apple store with a One " flash mob!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

Set the date and time, allocate the stores and do it.

All those running OSX in store get to see the arresting officer first :)

20 weeks later Apple release "split air", at a price of $400 (Apple package engineering should cost about $80 per unit).

Sid, Sep 3, 2008
  9. atarione

flamingswrd

Lol....nice job. I'm always amazed at how much you can teach a store's experts...

flamingswrd, Sep 3, 2008
  10. atarione

blackjack

I've been lauding AA1's at a gaming-focused message board I hang out at (not as a gaming machine, we just talk about hardware there a lot). Without really trying to, I apparently convinced another guy there to get one. :geek:

To wit, he said:
    And I showed it to my managing editor at work today. She lugs a very bulky, older laptop on trips, and she fell in love with it right away. She started joking about, "oh how thoughtful of you to give me one as a gift." Get yer own! :lol: She was pelting me with questions about things like whether she can install the DOS (!) version of WordPerfect 5.1 on it via a USB floppy drive (which I assume she can, she runs it fine on an XP machine at our office).

What's great about it is that you really don't have to be an aggressive salesman type to get people excited about it. Just getting it into their hands to try for a while is enough, though I remain disgruntled with Best Buy's "every laptop goes in a big thick metal bracket approach," even if rampant shoplifting of electronics probably makes them justify it as a necessary evil. :| But that keeps people from getting a chance to actually hold it in their hands, fiddle with the screen angle, "kick the tires," so to speak.

While part of me thinks Acer is doing a lousy job of marketing this, I guess there is something to be said for great word-of-mouth selling hardware rather than an aggressive or over-hyped ad campaign. :)

What's funny with me, in retrospect, is when I was first getting to try a bunch of netbooks in this size at a Micro Center, I was completely thinking I'd get the pricier 10" Eee PC or HP Mini-Note. But I do remember it was the AA1 whose keyboard felt comfortable for such a tiny size, and while I did look at those other machines, it was the AA1 that I kept looking back at. :mrgreen:

blackjack, Sep 4, 2008
  11. atarione

kaymm2

I took my AAO into work and so far 3 of my co-workers bought one. They were all impressed with the size, and most importantly, they were amazed it was so inexpensive. Every tom dick and harry will have an acer/netbook soon...

kaymm2, Sep 4, 2008
  12. atarione

Sid

You are not wrong........

This is "viral selling" at its best.

Sid, Sep 4, 2008
  13. atarione

blackjack

Oh, the guy who said he was going to get one because of my nattering on, said it was sold out at his local Best Buy. The Micro Center store where I got mine appears to be sold out of both models now (they had several dozen in-store at the time I got mine). Actually *all* Micro Center stores appear to be out of it, if their "in-store inventory checker" is still working properly. :eek:

blackjack, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question